Honored Contributor

Why no top cabinets in kitchens ?

[ Edited ]

I keep seeing this more & more. Esp. on HGTV but also in magazines etc. They put shelves where the top cabinets would be then put dishes on the shelves. VERY IMPRACTICAL. Either you'd have to wash those dishes all time or they would have greasy dirt all over them from cooking & dust etc. Either way , whenever I see that I just think EWWW. Of course there are people who never cook. I guess for them it would be alright. But for anyone who actually uses their kitchen for it's intended purpose - this is the stupidest idea designers have ever come up with. When we were looking at homes we did see some models like this but you could opt for cabinets if you bought a home.

Also, while cooking would you want to have everything you need in a bottom cabinet?Constantly having to bend down to look for stuff?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why no top cabinets in kitchens ?

I totally agree with you.It’s not practical for those of us who use their kitchens.I like top cabinets. I would never give them up.It looks nicer & cuts out having to constantly wash dishes before using them!! If it’s not broken why fix it??

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine trying to cook a meal and having to keep stopping to wash the dish you need to use before you can use it.

Honored Contributor

My neighbor just redid her kitchen and there are no upper cabinets or shelves.  They put large windows in that opened up the view of the lake and on one wall there is cupboard that go floor to ceiling and that is where the dishes, etc. are.

Another friend of mine did a similar thing in her kitchen.  She took out all her top cabinets and put in metal shelves that hold all her dishes and large bins of different flours, sugars, etc.  It resembles a restaurant kitchen which is what she wanted.  

My kitchen is too small to do either one.  

Respected Contributor

I agree about open shelving on the top - everything would be dirty in no time. However I have way more bottom shelves than top and I love them. All have pull out shelves and for me it is much easier to keep my dinnerware, mixing bowls and pots in these. Just pull out the shelf and everything is accessible. The only thing I keep in upper cabinets is glassware and mugs and items I don't use on a daily basis. My upper cabinets are 42" and I can't reach half the shelves anyway and I'm not especially short! 

Open shelving would be a deal breaker for sure.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 I agree also.  That's what cabinets were created for. 

Honored Contributor

My late husband in another life could have been an architecht and a designer.  He was amazing!  He designed our last kitchen redo.

He designed the cabinets to go a few inches below the ceiling.  Then...on top of that he added crown molding at least 6 inches wide (decorative).  It's absolutely beautiful!

I think something like decorations is a matter of taste.  I've always felt like people who decorate according to 'what's in style' versus what THEY like usually end up hating what they've done.  I've never understood going against what YOU like and getting what you THINK will be popular.

That said, I have many rooms wall papered in my house.  Before I sell it, I will have made sure much (not all) of the wall paper will be down and the walls will be painted white.

My husband was an investor and builder.  He had a business partner who was also a designer/realtor.  She owns lots of houses and properties in Florida.  She says people buying a house like plain white walls to start with.  Well, while I'm living here it will be what I like, then I'll give the people what THEY like.

Honored Contributor

Not practical, for sure. If you want to show off your china, put some glass doors in the cabinets.

Respected Contributor

@151949

ITA! I am guessing it is just a trend right now.  I agree that it isn't practical for anyone who has a realistic kitchen set-up. I do not want to give up valuable storage.  I keep very, very little out on my counter top areas. I cook, bake, and BBQ non-stop and have a lot of great equipment.

In my very first (starter) home, I put in cabinets that went to the ceiling.  I had to use a step ladder to reach many items.  I only did this because I had a small kitchen and needed the vertical storage.  

I had a carpenter tell me that a lot of younger home buyers are tearing out and replacing traditional height cabinets and installing cabinets all of the way to the ceiling, no matter what the kitchen size is.  I will say I would prefer this over top shelves though!

Honored Contributor

I have wondered the same thing.  I watch a lot of the HGTV flip shows and noticed the open shelf thing going on.  I dont care for it at all.  Those shelves and whatever is sitting on them will need to be washed regularly to keep from getting a thick cooking grease buildup.  And not much storage space.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)