Contributor

Why is it so hard to find the right mattress?

I'm just needing to vent some! I purchased a mattress and I picked out the wrong one. It is so hard I might as well be sleeping on the floor. Haven't slept an entire hour in two nights without tossing and turning. I researched mattresses online and in stores and while my research was fairly good, I failed to really research the company I ended up buying from. I was verbally told all I thought I needed to know and it was only after I signed the financing papers that I discovered I only have one swap within 90 days and NO REFUNDS! I honestly did not know that until it is too late. And, if the next one I choose is hundreds of dollars cheaper, I will only get a store credit! Well, lesson learned. So, folks please read the fine print! I've put a mattress topper on (memory foam) to try to get some cushioning tonight! Anyone else have any issues finding the right mattress for their needs. The few minutes spent in the store on it sure is not a good representation of what the real one will be like. No telling how long they have had the one in the store so it probably is much softer than a brand new one. Thanks for listening!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Why is it so hard to find the right mattress?

It took me 3 weeks to get used to my new matress.

Now it is too soft. I am really confused as to how to pick them out. They all feel good when you try them for a few minutes in the store.

I really think I will go with a less expensive one next as then I may not feel I need to keep it if it goes bad.

Trusted Contributor

You should really spend more than a few minutes trying them in the store. Fifteen to twenty minutes at least is recommended. However you sleep at home ( side, stomach) is how you should try in the store. And it can take your body several weeks to adjust to a new mattress especially if your old had a lot of wear. Your body gets used to being out of alignment on the old mattress and you can actually be sore for a few nights as the new mattress forces you back in alignment. Also, the display in the store most likely has been "broken in" and can feel softer than your brand new one, but don't give up! Yours will get to the comfort level you felt in the store. Definitely do not make a decision yet if you've only had it a few days and you only have one exchange.
Honored Contributor

Every mattress I ever owned was like a rock to me. Next time, I'm going with memory foam

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I know....I bought gel memory foam toppers of mine too and am sleeping more comfortably, but very frustrating trying to find the right mattress ):
Honored Contributor

Gemini, Don't you have 3 days to change your mind on contracts like you sign for a mattress? The mattress companies and retailers deliberately make mattress-buying difficult by making it impossible to compare products from store to store by giving basically the same model different names. I can't think of any other industry that employs this dirty little trick. I don't know why the Federal Trade Commission doesn't crack down on them.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Went to JCP and got the softest one on the floor. Worked. Detest hard mattresses.
Respected Contributor

The best mattress I found to be a talaley latex mattress, and it never gets hot and is so comfortable. It conforms to the body and the warranty can be very long, dependent from where it is purchased.

Some latex mattresses from the 1950's are still being used today in supreme comfort.

The talalay latex mattress does not break down or form gullies like visco memory foam does, or other memory foams do.

I refitted all the beds with talaley latex mattresses, and everyone who stays over remarks how comfortable the mattresses are.

I will add I bought a few matresses from QVC and they said they would never form indentations, but they both did and had to be replaced in less than 2 years and they were not inexpensivve....so visco memory foam and memory foam mattresses in general do not last no matter what is promised, and the warranty from mfg's does not cover any body mattress sink hole indentations unless they are very deep. Sleeping in sunken areas of a mattress is quite painful to the body and not pleasant at all........until I found talaley latex mattresses which made all the difference in the world, and I have a lifetime warranty on each of them.

Honored Contributor

I paid a good sum for a latex mattress topper and ditched it after less than a week. It was so soft it killed my back. I could hardly walk first thing in the morning. Now what'll I do with it? My parents had a latex mattress back in the fifties.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

On 7/19/2014 Jeannie29 said: You should really spend more than a few minutes trying them in the store. Fifteen to twenty minutes at least is recommended. However you sleep at home ( side, stomach) is how you should try in the store. And it can take your body several weeks to adjust to a new mattress especially if your old had a lot of wear. Your body gets used to being out of alignment on the old mattress and you can actually be sore for a few nights as the new mattress forces you back in alignment. Also, the display in the store most likely has been "broken in" and can feel softer than your brand new one, but don't give up! Yours will get to the comfort level you felt in the store. Definitely do not make a decision yet if you've only had it a few days and you only have one exchange.

Jeannie29, I spent lots of time on the store mattress! I went back to this store 4 times and wallowed around a minimum of 15 minutes each. I thought that was a good indicator. When I called them yesterday they told me to come back and try the one in the store again as it is softer than a new one. I've had 3 miserable nights now. Last night was better with the memory foam topper I added but still not the comfort level I want for $1800.