Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why doesn't anyone like the Scott Brothers?

Like Chip & Joanna their designs are rinse and repeat. Everyone gets cheap out of the box white and grey kitchen cabinets and white kitchen tile. Every brick is painted over or removed. Fireplaces look cheap and the modern/mid century modern look is on everything.

Granted, many of their remodels are in their native Canada and reflect Canadian pricing, many homeowners seem to have deep pockets. 

I recall one remodel that topped $1M. The wife went to her daddy to ask for a professional mechanic's car lift in their garage so the husband could work on his Porsche at home.

Honored Contributor

Why Doesn't Anybody Like the Scott Brothers?

Because they're over exposed, their programs are totally staged and they're too obnoxious.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

As people, they seem nice enough.  

I agree with over exposed, but I don't begrudge anyone making money off their fame while it lasts.  If people buy, that's on them.

My issue has always been that the Property Brothers schtick is an act.  They are actors and models and this was just an acting gig (using their side gigs of real estate and handyman/construction as the basis).  The twin thing was an added bonus for the show.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass 

At first I enjoyed their shows ....... then the formula and story got as boring and predictable as a Hallmark Christmas Movie...... 

The scenario goes like this....a home is purchased....renovations begin....and then OH MY-----A CRISIS.OCCURS!!!!...an unexpected and expensive repair is needed which puts a BIG DENT in the budget....and then the situation grows "tense" as to whether they will finish the renovation in time....Oh Im biting my nails.....But a miracle occurs and the repair and renovation is completed and with some creative tinkering of finances and decorating tips and tricks (but always in the same style) they are able to provide a dream home for the person/couple/family......😴 ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Some of their QVC merchandise seems overpriced and some of the reviews were not favorable....

I do think the brothers have pleasant personalities and I'm happy for anyone that succeeds in their chosen endeavors

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

For me, it's over exposure and it seems every house they do is many, many thousands of dollars.  I get tired of the budget talk, then sure enough, homeowners want more, and more...the budget is out the window....it just gets old.

I'd love to see some of the older shows come back with smaller budgets.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shiloh09 wrote:

Guy Fieri on Food Network (or as i call it, "The Guy Fieri Channel" can be added to your list. Enough!!! I prefer to learn how too cook food rather than visiting restaurants or competitions all the time!  Also prefer more how to shows on HGTV tha buying, reovating and selling homes. Most ideas are great, but not in depth enough to tell you how. 

I'm always changing channels looking for something interesting to watch. Evey time I'm on the Food Network channel, Guy Fieri is stuffing his mouth. I also find him unappealing. Is he the best the network can come up with????

Respected Contributor

The Cooking Channel is owned by the same company and it seems like a lot of cooks have transferred over there.

Esteemed Contributor

What annoys me about Guy Fieri is his hair, his tatoos, his earrings, his chains, rings & bracelets and mostly his big loud mouth. Who does he think he is?

Esteemed Contributor

I like them and when I had cable I would tune in and watch them. I did buy a few of their gardening stuff from QVC.

Honored Contributor

I can tolerate them but I hate hour long shows. Just show me the house the buyer selected and give an overview of the changes. Thirty minutes!