Honored Contributor

Re: Why do bathroom vanities cost so much?!!

@lolakimono I have that tagged! Sadly, I need it in a time frame they can't match. 

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam

I f you have a Habitat for Humanity/ Restore near you, check them out.  They have a lot of new bathroom vanities with and without sinks.

When we upgraded our shore house, we found some beautiful sets on clearance at both HD and at Lowe’s

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your support and suggestions. : )

If we had the time and had planned this remodel, we would have budgeted, saved up and purchased something we really love but alas, that is not how this went. So, we are installing a pedestal sink. Not our first choice but it will work, offer clean lines, no weird material and off-gas from the cheap stuff. 

Thank you all again!!

Honored Contributor

In Re: questionable materials and off-gassing etc....I HIGHLY recommend Bramble Furniture Company. They are environmentally responsible, plant trees to replenish what they use (mahogany). They use safe finishes. And have beautiful selections to pick from. From living room to bedroom to bathroom. Safe, responsible and beautiful. Can’t find that at Lowe’s and HD....yet!
Respected Contributor

We had many problems putting in a new vanity in our bathroom. We found one at Lowe’s. It was nice a cream color. While the work was being done we had the old one and the new one in the foyer. We washed and brushed teeth in the kitchen. Numerous problems occurred. The new one went in and it wasn’t long before it started to peal. We went back and went back again. They gave us paint to match. It is still peeling and we are still painting. Worst project ever.
Valued Contributor

We recently remodeled my daugher's bathroom.  The shower was getting gross and the vanity was builder grade with a cultured marble vanity top.  Do not buy the stuff they carry in stock at Lowes and Home Depot - it's very cheaply made.  Remember, a vanity has to be attached to the wall so if there's ever a problem with it, it's not exactly easy to remove it and replace it.  My daughter's bathroom is pretty small and we could only replace the vanity she had with the exact same size vanity - 30 inches.  We ended up buying a Kraftmaid vanity that had to be special-ordered from Lowes.  It's a solid wood front with plywood sides and made like a piece of fine furniture.  Anything less than $500 is probably going to be pressboard and if it gets wet, it will be ruined.  We ended up spending about $1,200 for the 30 inch Kraftmaid, but I think it's well worth it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sueeich  You're absolutely right that anything less than $500 is junk and yet, that is what they sell the most of. What we found with pedestal sinks is the ONLY ones they have in stock are the expensive ones. So, to purchase something now (because we need it now) was going to cost us over $1500 JUST for that one item. The faucets start at $125 due to needing a 6 inch spread and well...geez.

We ordered one online cheaper than what they had in stock and now, due to contractor issues, we aren't even going to start until AFTER the New Year. Good thing because the next morning after we ordered everything (which was supposed to arrive on 12/20), we receive an email saying "So sorry, but you're items will SHIP on 12/24". So now, everything is messed up.

Sick. Of. It. Already.

Honored Contributor

We need to gut and remodel the master bath.  It's awful!  Everything except the toilet (we replaced three toilets last year) needs to be replaced in the master and I dread it!  The mess, cost & dealing with workers in my bath.

I'm afraid to even begin to figure out what the cost will be for....new tile flooring, new shower walls & doors, new vanity, double sinks & faucets.  Actually I would like to replace the tub with a free standing one but the cost is holding me back.  Our tub is still in good condition but it's one of those huge corner ones which take up 1/3 of the bathroom and we rarely use it.

Instead of saving for this project we went on a family vacation to Europe...maybe next year.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

We need to gut and remodel the master bath.  It's awful!  Everything except the toilet (we replaced three toilets last year) needs to be replaced in the master and I dread it!  The mess, cost & dealing with workers in my bath.

I'm afraid to even begin to figure out what the cost will be for....new tile flooring, new shower walls & doors, new vanity, double sinks & faucets.  Actually I would like to replace the tub with a free standing one but the cost is holding me back.  Our tub is still in good condition but it's one of those huge corner ones which take up 1/3 of the bathroom and we rarely use it.

Instead of saving for this project we went on a family vacation to Europe...maybe next year.

I live in a townhouse and my one bathroom remodel was quoted as starting at $40k.  They taken down the walls and the floors and start from scratch.

What I ended up doing was just having new flooring put in and replacing the toilet as it was 25 years old and would cost the same to have a plumber remove it and reinstall it.

I had them install the tile around the vanity vs taking the vanity out and putting it back in.

While I appreciate that everyone is saying you have have white tile now, none of the homes in my neighborhood for the last 3 years renovated their bathrooms.  They are all making due with beige/bisque/bone tile.  Some even put in white toilets and vanities and left the beige tile.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN