Honored Contributor

Why do bathroom vanities cost so much?!!

Found out we had to replace a bathroom vanity. Need a sink as well. Looking at Home Depot and Lowes. OMG...$500 and up is when you start to see positive reviews. 

Composition board? Vinyl coating? Pressboard? Cracked sinks after a month?

If we were planning on remodeling, it would be one thing. But discovering mold has led us to a $10,000 plus nightmare the 2 weeks before Christmas. Found out the mold was on the bottom and back of the vanity in this specific bathroom, so, it had to go. Granted, the vanity was 29 years old (original) but replacing it is proving difficult due to size and the materials used plus...the cost.

I am HATING this. HATING.

Haven't even mentioned the noise, dust, curtains, filters and everything else now in my house. 

*heavy sigh* Thank you for allowing me to rant.

Respected Contributor

Re: Why do bathroom vanities cost so much?!!

@SahmIam  I empathize, esp. since yo have a child at home.

We have and will be facing the same since we need to continue to repair and recover from Hurricane Florence-most of Xmas gifts are lost or delayed indefinitely by UPS/USPS and I have spent 4+ hours dealing w/customer service reps whose hands wer tied by regulations or they couldnt care less.

Thanks for letting me rant; I'm not trying to hijack this thread.

Home repair sux.

Trusted Contributor

I need a new vanity with installation also.  I'd suggest finding a company that makes their own cabinets or have pre-fab ones in your local town.  

Honored Contributor

The Lowe's and Home Depot prefab ones are much cheaper than bespoke vanities.

Esteemed Contributor

I know how you feel I had my bathroom renovated a few months back but it was necessary but I had no idea what a mess dust was everywhere and the noise.  It was suppose to be two weeks tops but turned into a month.  It was the original bathroom that was tiled back in 1952 when my parents brought the house and the same year it was built and I mean back then when they installed something it stayed the wall tiles looked the same after all these years except for in the shower where some were starting to get loose so I wound up replacing everything that was installed back then.  I brought a new vanity although I love it and it is well made with the granite top it costs over $500 for the 56 inch long which it took me a long time to find at a reasonable price most were over $1000.

Once it's over and the cleanup is done I hope you enjoy your new bathroom like I do.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday Those are the ones we are looking at.  I don't have time to have one made. I need one by Tuesday of this week. I'm still trying to figure out "basic" white tile and boy oh boy, there is no such thing. 

Again, if this was a planned job, it would be different. We  went from mold remediation to demolition to an entire new bathroom, repairs in 3 rooms, repainting rooms all in less than a few hours. 

You just never know.

Honored Contributor

@maestra  Your mess sounds much worse than mine. Hugs!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I suggest getting a old bureau or chest, and retrofitting that into a vanity.  A good carpenter should be able to do it.  That is what I'd like to do.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee  I would but there is no time. Found out about the vanity/sink situation yesterday; need a new set by Monday/Tuesday morning.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree. It's crazy pricing. The next time I need to replace the bathroom vanity I'm seriously thinking that I will find an old  piece of  furniture and convert it into a vanity. I'm a big DIY person and you see this done over and over on those shows. Looks fairly simple. The price of the fixtures is where I really lose my mind.