Super Contributor

Re: Why Does Everyone Love Tile?

I love tile. My whole house is tile. For all its problems, its a blessing for me. I have neuropathy pain in my feet. I can put my feet on the cool tile floor and it helps. In the hot Arizona summer, the tile floor keeps the house cool.
Regular Contributor

Hands down sheet vinyl flooring for me! I had it installed in my den about 6 mos. ago and it has held up beautifully to pets and grandkids. So easy to keep clean. Looks great. Mine is a matte finish, is cushy and quiet, and is a pale gray and white marble look. I just might do my whole house with this. And I can still lay area rugs on it for a cozier feel. I don't care what the style is, this works perfectly for me. Good luck with your decision!!

Frequent Contributor

Most people must be a lot more observant than me, I wouldn't even notice what kind of floors you had unless it stood out for some reason. That said, my husband is a flooring snob and said no to the idea for us but unless you'll be putting your house on the market put down whatever kind of flooring is easiest for you to take care of. If someone comes in and says you should do something else, tell them no problem as long as they'll come clean it for you Smiley Wink
Valued Contributor

When we remodeled our home we put tile in both bathrooms. We used a darker grout and then sealed it with special stain resistent sealer. It was a breeze to take care of and it is so beautiful. I think that with the right sealer you don't have the stain probems that so many complain about. And if a professional does the grouting, you shouldn't have any cracking problems. We never did and the house was over 60 years old. We also had good old fashioned hardwood floors. None of that laminate for us. We figured if it got worn and scratched, we could just refinish it. It has held up remarkably well and that is with three kids, a dog and 7 cats!!

However, if you love vinyl due to the ease of care, then by all means get vinyl. They have so many beautiful selections now days. I am sure you will be happy with it. I have to admit that vinyl is absolutely the easiest to maintain.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Contributor

My sister lives in a fairly new (7 year old) home. She had tile installed in the master bath when her home was being built. Recently a crack started and went clear across the floor, cracking 10 tiles. The tiles were put on concrete. Will she have to have the tile taken out, or can she have new flooring put down on top of it? She is just sick about it. Wishes she'd never splurged for the tile now. Any advice would be so appreciated.

Respected Contributor

I'm not that crazy about it.

Esteemed Contributor

Vinyl might be coming back. My DD is eyeing it after living with it in an older fixerupper for a year. She mentioned how easy it is to steam it clean and I could only go ""I know"".

Honored Contributor

NOT ME! I hate it. One of the biggest arguments me and my late husband had was after a whole house fire he wanted to put tile into the kitchen.

I said, "No way". I hate the stuff. I agreed to have it put into 2 of the bathrooms. The other two bathrooms (one is a Jack and Jill bathroom, for children) we had linoleum installed.

In the kitchen it isn't linoleum, but it is similar (supposedly better). I love it. Still love it.

My husband owned one of his businesses was a building business. He knew all of the latest stuff.

He loved me more and gave in. I never regretted it.

Respected Contributor

Unless you are planning on moving, go with the linoleum you love. Tile is hard on the legs, cold on bare feet, things shatter when dropped (tiles included), and they discontinue them so replacing one or 2 can be a problem. We had it put in the bathroom which already had it, but that's it.

Honored Contributor

I like tile but not in every room. There are plenty of options out there these days. Go with whatever you like and works for you!