Regular Contributor

Why Are Popular Items Always So Limited???

I realize that the QVC buyers have their hands tied somewhat with the quantity they order on certain items, but why are they always so stingy with VPH and LR Christmas décor? They KNOW these items sell, but if you don't get your order placed when Valerie or Lisa posts the item number on Facebook, chances are you probably aren't going to be successful in getting the item(s).

Most of this stuff would sell out, even with larger quantities, so why play games? It's not like anything left at the end of the season wouldn't sell at the Q outlets...

Honored Contributor

Re: Why Are Popular Items Always So Limited???

On 10/28/2014 StElmoQn said:

I realize that the QVC buyers have their hands tied somewhat with the quantity they order on certain items, but why are they always so stingy with VPH and LR Christmas décor? They KNOW these items sell, but if you don't get your order placed when Valerie or Lisa posts the item number on Facebook, chances are you probably aren't going to be successful in getting the item(s).

Most of this stuff would sell out, even with larger quantities, so why play games? It's not like anything left at the end of the season wouldn't sell at the Q outlets...

Good point...Why not post your question/concern to VPH on her FB page. She usually answers everyone's questions/concerns Smile

Valued Contributor

I know!! Everything, not just the holiday items are routinely on "Advanced Order" or sold out. I think they must have closed all of their warehouses...

QVC had a handful of those Christmas Sleighs, and I know that many people were disappointed Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

The exception being those cube storage ottomans.

Super Contributor

Great thread!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/28/2014 whitelinen said:

The exception being those cube storage ottomans.

Yeah, really! I was just thinking that the only recent items I can think of that are actually stocked in huge quantities are the ottomans, spheres, and recent TSV glass votive candles that were a flop.

I've noticed that on most decor items, when the host gives quantity updates, the numbers they say they started with are LOW! They often say, for example, 1,000 of this color and 1,500 of that color. That doesn't add up to a huge amount ordered in total.

I wish they would stock higher quantities, too.

Occasional Contributor

Also it probably is because then they can charge an arm and a leg for them. Because if the supply is low and demand is high then it is their justification for having a higher price on a lot of those decor items. Because if they had an abundance of those items then they is no way they could justify the price they have on some of those holiday decor items.

Valued Contributor

This is O/T, but I was browsing a website called Trendy Tree. I have never purchased from this site, but found them when looking for Raz Christmas ornaments. They have 1 style of Luminara candles. It is 39.00 if anyone is interested (no idea if this reasonable) It is 3.5" x 7" edit to add...I thought this company was going out of business and they were hard to find. I guess QVC is not carrying them....OOPS

Luminara Realistic Moving Flame Candle Ivory Vanilla 3.5

Honored Contributor

I think the only real excuse for most of this is that they are trying to create a "frenzy" to buy, and limited quantities will drive people to do so.

These items are mass produced in China, and most can be had by the tens or hundreds of thousands. Q wants to get people on the hook with a look or a theme, then when they sell out of something, people will by a similar item that has a much higher profit margin for them. They know that many will not just walk away with nothing, but will buy something, even if they can't get exactly what they want.

I'm sure some of the items really were only available in a limited quantity, but I do feel sorry for those that don't have computers and know to check stock daily or watch Facebook pages to see what is coming out and when. If you have to rely on the TV presentations, you flat out of luck often times.

I have heard Valerie and Tara both respond on FB that things are sometimes limited because they want to basically make sure they have a market for the item. That isn't really the full truth. They and the buyers at Q are savvy business people, they know what their customers are looking for, and what will sell fast. I think they get people hooked on Mercury Glass, for instance, with some nicer more expensive pieces, then make available the cheap spheres or mason jars that they could bring in for so much less, and make a profit off them that they couldn't on the nicer pieces.

Honored Contributor

They're probably trying not to destroy the market for these items like they did with Peterboro baskets.