Honored Contributor

Whole house water filtration systems--advice please

We were going to get a reverse osmosis system for the entire house (as opposed to just under the kitchen sink).

A plumber yesterday said that a carbon system is better.

We've never had any kind of water filtration before (other than refridgerator water dispensers), so we don't have anything to compare it to.

Anyone familiar with either of these systems or any other form to clean/clear the water. 

Looking for the best of the best, but would like to know about upkeep (changing filters/adding bags of whatever, etc.) and most of all satisfaction.

Thanks in advance.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Whole house water filtration systems--advice please

We have a entire house water softener. Then we have RO on the kitchen sink and the refrigerator for ice cubes and water. The RO on the sink has s seperate faucet then the one you would use to wash dishes. 

Respected Contributor

Az. has hard water & it really weakens faucets so we have the whole house. Our system goes threw a salt system. We have to buy 25-50lbs of salt which is a pain. Culigan offers to deliver salt which I may check into it. Since only 2 of us now we use less salt. My husband said when it's time to replace this he will go saltless which is expensive & just have to change filters. We did have under the sink (took up so much room) so we use the filtered water from the fridge for drinking & cooking but soft water does come out of all faucets.

Honored Contributor

We're installing for removing contaminents and would like it to cover all areas (bathtub, showers, bathroom sinks and of course, the kitchen).

It would consist of tanks the size of usual water heaters from what I understand.

We'll have an 'on demand' water heater, so we have the space for the tanks.

I was hoping someone would have this and be able to tell me all the pros and that there are no cons.Woman Very Happy

Frequent Contributor

Several years ago I saw an infomercial with Jan Muller--QVC vendor-- and he was presenting a saltless whole house water softener that used a small tank that was easy to install and maintain by the homeowner, or so he said.  You might want to google Jan Muller to see what the system was called.  HTH

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sure it depends on your water and what you need, but we have a whole house carbon filter and it filters the incoming water. 

Then we have a water softener.

Then we have the reverse osmosis system at the sink for drinking water.

Our tap water is more than safe and tastes good enough to drink, but I like the taste of the water from the reverse osmosis system better. And if you could see the gunk that gets filtered out, WOW. 

Our water is from our own well, high in iron and minerals. 

We need all this to get decent (good) quality water.

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t know why anyone would want a entire house RO. It doesn’t need RO if your not drinking it. Are you talking about a entire house water softener. That is entirely different then RO. I don’t think i have heard a entire house RO.

We have a whole house water softener that uses salt. But it’s cheap and needs to be added ever few months.

Super Contributor

Due to health concerns, I was leery of getting a salt system.  I did though after some research.  I have a full house system with an RO under the sink.  It does remove the contaminants and gives me purified water to drink.  As mentioned above, Arizona has very hard water.  With this system I no longer have to chip away that white sediment around the faucet, my hair / skin is softer and my laundry seems softer too.  I talked to a lot of companies before making a decision.  The company I chose had the best price AND they come out once a year to replace filters for free.  I do have to buy salt during the year, but thats less than $5.00 a bag.

And, I no longer have to bring home 5 or 6 gallons of purified water each week.  My system paid for itself in less than 18 months.  One of my very best investments.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

I don’t know why anyone would want a entire house RO. It doesn’t need RO if your not drinking it. Are you talking about a entire house water softener. That is entirely different then RO. I don’t think i have heard a entire house RO.

We have a whole house water softener that uses salt. But it’s cheap and needs to be added ever few months.

No this isn't a 'hard water' issue really.  I just want the safest, purest water without as many contaminants as possible.  

And I don't just want it for drinking, rinsing food, and cooking.  I want to know that my showers and baths, toothbrushing, and wash loads are with clean water, too.

There's a lot of JUNK in water.  I always keep up on the water quality reports in the towns I own homes in.  Although they have good ratings and never any EPA violations, there's still JUNK in the water.  

There are whole house RO systems.  I was hoping someone here had one.

Frequent Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

We were going to get a reverse osmosis system for the entire house (as opposed to just under the kitchen sink).

A plumber yesterday said that a carbon system is better.

We've never had any kind of water filtration before (other than refridgerator water dispensers), so we don't have anything to compare it to.

Anyone familiar with either of these systems or any other form to clean/clear the water. 

Looking for the best of the best, but would like to know about upkeep (changing filters/adding bags of whatever, etc.) and most of all satisfaction.

Thanks in advance.

I just saw that informercial again with Jan Muller.  The water filtration system is called Nuvo Pro H2O.  It says it doesn't use salt, but uses citrus in a brand new configuration.  Just google Nuvo Pro H2O and see if it's something you'd be interested in. HTh