Respected Contributor

Whole House Generators-seeking brand recommendations/experiences

We have decided to get a whole house standby natural gas generator.  Generac appears to be the most recognized brand but we are aware of other companies such as Kohler, Briggs and Straton, Champion, etc.

We have read reviews and are open minded, but have read horror stories regarding product quality and customer service on some brands.

Would really appreciate if anyone would share their experiences with us.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Whole House Generators-seeking brand recommendations/experiences

have had a Generac for years....with no problems.....

Esteemed Contributor

Hoping someone can help you. I don't know of anyone who has a whole house generator. I just recently started looking into this myself. But am also clueless as to where to even begin. I saw they have some that are setup and then there are those that are portable. Good Luck and I'll be reading hoping to get some ideas. 

Esteemed Contributor

A lot of people up here have them. Power can go out for days before crews get to you.

I have a Generac, highly recommend. Kohler actually has better pro recommendations but Generac is the preferred brand here. You are required to use a Generac approved tech to install it or they will void your warranty.

They can be loud to run so place it away from living spaces if you can. Mine is next to the garage on a slab. You can put it on level gravel. Exhaust heat can damage bushes/shrubbery so I keep the area cleared.

If you're in the city, check for needed permits. 

Super Contributor

We had a Generac whole house generator installed after Sandy hit NJ.  We were without power for 10 days and had to live like our pioneer ancestors.  There were no available hotel rooms anywhere we could safely get to and decided not again.  Having heat and hot water, freezer and fridge running and toilets is great.  We have propane for heat and hot water but have had no issues.  We do have it serviced yearly, on a 3 year contract.  I would not hesitate to do it again.  Also, seems like a good selling point for resale.

Respected Contributor

@qvcfreak  We have tossed the purchase around for a few years.  A recent storm resulted in an extended power outage.  In years past such outages were attended to expeditiously.  Times are different now, companies have merged, service is just not the same.  This last outage pushed us to our decision.

We are going with a natural gas whole house generator, which is not portable. In the event of a power outage it will automatically activate.  We plan to get a size that will accommodate the electric needs of our entire house.  It will run on natural gas, which we have available.

Esteemed Contributor

Even if you live close enough in to have natural gas lines, they could be shut down too.  Most people out where I live use propane for their generators.

Respected Contributor

@cookie16 @Snowpuppy @nana59 

Thank you!  We and two of our neighbors will be purchasing units.  We were visited yesterday by a local certified electrician (Kohler dealer).  He will present us all with bid next week.  However upon googling consumer reviews of Kohler generators I came across some very disturbing recent postings, one even from a from a certified installer.

The Kohler dealer is very familiar with Generac generators.  Until two years ago he worked at his father's business who deals with Generac.  He say he feels Kohler is a better and quieter unit.  But then that little voice in my head says, of course he says that; when he branched out on his own Kohler contacted him to be a dealer.

We probably will also be contacting his father for a quote for a Generac.  Unfortunately, other manufacturers don't have many certified installers/dealers close or willing to travel to our area.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds great @Allegheny   My house is all electric and I’m in South Texas about 45 minutes from South Padre Island. We do get hurricanes and the last one while mild we were without power for about 6 days. I don’t want to go through that again. 

I was reading and and there are some quiet ones.

Honored Contributor

We don't have a generator, but when I worked, I toured the Generac plant.  They're a great company and their products are well respected. Generac is a huge name for generators. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?