Contributor

Re: Whole House Generators-seeking brand recommendations/experiences

i researched generators also, but because i don't have natural gas ,if i pay $5000 to have the gas company istall a line. then the cost of the generator was just too expensive. and to have it run by propane l would need to purchase a large storage tank for the fuel at this point in my life that is on the new owners todo list.

Honored Contributor

As a generator owner for 7 years, my suggestion is to concentrate only on finding the reputable business to consult about buying and installing a generator for you.  

We bought ours from a local heating and air company we’ve done business with for over 30 years.  The owner came out, sat down with us to discuss details and sold us the size we needed to power our heating system, which is a 3 ton heat pump.  They sell Generac generators, and between the unit and the set up for propane, we spent $17,000.   

We have a yearly service appointment in the fall to check our heating system, and service the generator.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

While natural gas pipelines can go out (construction worker digging and cuts a line) it's rare that the delivery would go out in a storm or other event. I'm 5 miles away from natural gas so I'm on propane.

Propane prices right now are cheap. If you're considering installing for just the Generac you may not need large tanks. I would price it out with a smaller tank vs running a gas line. In some locations you can bury the tank below ground but check with your zoning office.

ETA: I factored in living with peace of mind in the price.

Trusted Contributor

@Allegheny  Brother and sister-in-law bought a Generac almost two years ago and swear by it. If it helps any, he did A LOT of research and decided that it was the best on the market. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

@Still Raining 

I'm ok with natural gas.  Have family history here going back 68 years and only had one issue with the natural gas supply.  Problem was a frozen gas line or meter, can't recall for sure, I was a child at the time.  

Esteemed Contributor

@duffy2 wrote:

i researched generators also, but because i don't have natural gas ,if i pay $5000 to have the gas company istall a line. then the cost of the generator was just too expensive. and to have it run by propane l would need to purchase a large storage tank for the fuel at this point in my life that is on the new owners todo list.

@duffy2 You would not need a large storage tank.  I'm not sure the size of mine...I only use it for the generator.  Less than 200 gallons. And barring any extended outtage (really bad storm), I call once a year to get it filled.  It's maybe 15 feet from the generator, so no long gas line. 

I've had a generator (Generac) for almost 14 years and wouldn't be without it.  I'm all electric. It's really dark here when the lights are out.  

Keepin' it real.