Valued Contributor

Re: Who does the best balsam scent, besides nature?

Hi @SilleeMee - Oh, I didn't even think of that, thank you for asking.  I'm looking for that wonderful scent of pine, such as when we have a live Christmas tree in the house.  I'd rather not cut a tree down because I get silly about it afterwards.  Ever since I was a little girl, it has made me sad to just cast aside a tree that brought us so many weeks of joy, and watch it go brown & drop needles.  

Should I admit that?

embarrassed smiley face.jpg

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Valued Contributor

Thanks @withaK, I don't get into stores much anymore since I shop (too much) online, so thanks for the tip- I'll definitely sniff that one out!

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Valued Contributor

@Mominohio, that has been my experience, too.  But I keep hoping!

SerenityNow!
Valued Contributor

@Julie928, I love that idea & plan to see if I can find the one you recommended online.  It sounds great, and I'd love to try it.

SerenityNow!
Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee, I also like the oils.  I have one in lemon that I use alot, and this one looks very promising--thanks for the tip, I can see I'm going to be busy shopping for awhile Smiley Very Happy

SerenityNow!
Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

I recommend Yankee Candles in either Balsam & Cedar or Christmas Wreath, and BBW 3-wick candle, Evergreen.  

@RazorSharp  This may SHOCK you RazorSharp but I totally agree with you Yankee Candle Balsam And Cedar is the BEST!  Even over BBW's balsam!!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I thoroughly enjoy Yankee Candle Balsam & Cedar.  It's a traditional Christmas tree scent, has an excellent throw.  One large jar fills the whole house with a beautiful balsam scent.  People always comment on how good the house smells and ask if we have a real tree, and then I mention it's the Yankee candle.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AKgirl2 wrote:

I thoroughly enjoy Yankee Candle Balsam & Cedar.  It's a traditional Christmas tree scent, has an excellent throw.  One large jar fills the whole house with a beautiful balsam scent.  People always comment on how good the house smells and ask if we have a real tree, and then I mention it's the Yankee candle.

@AKgirl2  Yankee Candle has disappointed me in that some don't seem to have a scent or the scent disappates (I've heard the same comments from my sis and friends).....the ONLY ones I purchase from YC anymore are Storm Watch (which I have to purchase online since it was retired in store) and I LOVE their Cedar and Balsam!!!! 

Some say Christmas Wreath which is another of their balsam scents from YC has a smell like cat urine (even some of the reviews on their website say  this).....so I recommend the BALSAM & CEDAR!!!  Perhaps YC corrected the problem with Christmas Wreath.....Instead of ordering online, I'd make a tript to a YC Store and do a test smell to see what you think....

Although I'm a fan of some of the scents of the Bath & Body Works candles, their Evergreen has almost a man's cologne scent and something about BBW's Fresh  Balsam---I just prefer YC Balsam & Cedar.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Serenity-Now wrote:

Hi @SilleeMee - Oh, I didn't even think of that, thank you for asking.  I'm looking for that wonderful scent of pine, such as when we have a live Christmas tree in the house.  I'd rather not cut a tree down because I get silly about it afterwards.  Ever since I was a little girl, it has made me sad to just cast aside a tree that brought us so many weeks of joy, and watch it go brown & drop needles.  

Should I admit that?

embarrassed smiley face.jpg

I'm the same way!  I feel bad for the Christmas trees tossed along the curb after Christmas. I also feel bad for the ones not sold in the Christmas tree lots,they died for nothing. Silly me.  But we do buy real trees because they're renewable.  Also I read the making of the plastic Chinese made trees is not good.  So @Serenity-Now you are not alone.  Absolutely nothing like the smell of a real tree at Christmas,nothing compares.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MoJoV @Serenity-Now  

I was one of those that said I would never have an artificial tree---but what's the old cliche, never say never---LOL!!!

I reason I decided to purchase an artificial one was due to several reasons---

I live in Texas our average winter here in South Texas is in the mid 40's---sometimes slightly warmer or colder depending on Blue Northers we get from Canada that make their way down here.---I don't know when some of these Christmas trees were cut, processed and shipped---but by the time they arrived here in late November some were already turning brown---I found some at one lot that were actually spray painted green---couldn't leave that lot fast enough.  

Even if you manage to find a fresh one the prices were exorbitant even for a small one---paying that price for just a couple of weeks was no longer economical especially at Christmas time where other expenses come into play---

Even if you followed all the recommendations sawing off the bottom, using special stuff to keep your tree fresh, watering it properly, keeping it in a cool place in your home etc, using lights that didn't use that much electricity nor heat...you were lucky if it lasted until Christmas---one year I even purchased a second one, because I felt the first one was a fire hazard it was so dry!!! 

And yes it's sad to see the real trees at the lot that are just tossed aside and never purchased, or the ones at the curb after Christmas.....

So there are valid reasons some of us decided to go artificial....