Honored Contributor

Re: White kitchen cabinets and island color

I've always said if I could get a new kitchen, my island would look more like furniture, beautiful wood stain, turned "legs" but with the white cabinets.  The island should look like a lovingly restored antique dresser.    To my eye, the island is the first thing you see in a kitchen, it should be stunning, not blend in the background.

But that's just me.

@ccassaday

Frequent Contributor

Just moved into my new home.  The kitchen cabinets  and island are oyster white, counter tops are a very light grey with white striations looks like marble but is quartz.  The entire house is painted a very soft light gray with white trim.  The floors are a white ceramic tile with very light grey striations which also looks like marble. As accent colors I 

have picked different shades of purple Abergene and lavender.   For place mats  in the kitchen floral arrangements and pillows   in the living room.Looks very pretty with grey.

Bathrooms also have same oyster  white cabinets and grey and white marble counters. Floor is same throughout house.Also did accents of abergene and lavender for towels and bath rugs.  Looks great.

Esteemed Contributor

@patnap wrote:

Just moved into my new home.  The kitchen cabinets  and island are oyster white, counter tops are a very light grey with white striations looks like marble but is quartz.  The entire house is painted a very soft light gray with white trim.  The floors are a white ceramic tile with very light grey striations which also looks like marble. As accent colors I 

have picked different shades of purple Abergene and lavender.   For place mats  in the kitchen floral arrangements and pillows   in the living room.Looks very pretty with grey.

Bathrooms also have same oyster  white cabinets and grey and white marble counters. Floor is same throughout house.Also did accents of abergene and lavender for towels and bath rugs.  Looks great.

That sounds really pretty. As of right now I think my mom is going to do a dark stained cabinets in the bathrooms. She is thinking it will save a little money because white cabinets are more expensive. But will have the same gray and white countertops in the bathrooms. She might change her mind once she gets talking with the designer. She likes red. Right now she is thinking of red throw pillows on the couch. My bedroom right now is a ice gray color. They really like it so we will see what color they decide to paint inside the house. But if will defintly be a gray color.

Trusted Contributor

If it were me I would look to see what the new trends are going to be. Not what been in for years. 

Frequent Contributor

If they are building homes in your area you might want to take your mom to see some model homes.  Usually they are decorated with the latest trends. Maybe she will be able to get some great ideas.

Esteemed Contributor

@patnap wrote:

If they are building homes in your area you might want to take your mom to see some model homes.  Usually they are decorated with the latest trends. Maybe she will be able to get some great ideas.

They have looked at so many new builds. So she knows she likes the look. I think they have looked at probably 50 new builds in the last year.  I just told her to keep a open mind and see the different looks the designer presents.

Honored Contributor

Dark-stained for sure.

I like the the contrast of white (or light) with dark, along with varying textures.

Honored Contributor

My perimeter cabinets are a color called white icing, which is a warm white color.  My island (which is quite large) is done in a stain called smoke (a greyish-brown.  They are topped with two different, but coordinating granites.

Personally, I like the different finishes.  I think if you choose to do both sets of cabinets the same, you might want to coordinate two different countertops.

Respected Contributor

Today people have the wall cabinets and counters one color and the island a different cabinet color and different counter color. White cabinets with grey quartz on the walls and the island could be a darker grey or darker wood to compliment the floors (not the other way round, because your floor needs to be the same color throughout the house for resell value and overall decor. Pick your floors then your cabinets. A warm white (not stark white) with a warmer wood would work well and be more classic than trendy.
Honored Contributor

Image result for gray island kitchen + white cabinets