Honored Contributor

Re: White House Christmas on HGTV

I enjoyed it for many years and while I still do, some of the schemes seem to have become less focused on creating beauty than I would prefer. I thought Laura Bush did some exceptional things, as have many of the First Ladies, or, more accurately, their staff... That said, when the decor started becoming too thematic and honorific some of the areas sort of fizzled. I prefer the decor be done for the sake of creating a beautiful holiday display and not to send a message, honor specific groups and so on... Just make it pretty, for heaven's sake... There are enough other opportunities to 'send a message'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

My daughter thinks prior years may be on You-tube to watch...

Esteemed Contributor

Many years ago, during the Carter Administration, I was working at the WH during Christmas and invited to a small, informal ceremony for the staff.  We got to tour the rooms and see the decorations.  It was beautiful.

Years later, a friend working there wangled tour tickets for me and I got to see it again, but with the crowds.  It was still beautiful.  So majestic.  And, it was snowing that night.

Even when you are working there, it is a magical place at Christmas.  All these years later, I feel very fortunate to have toured twice.

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

I no longer watch HGTV in part due to the lack of variety in their programming.   

Does anyone know if they still show the White House being decorated for Christmas?

I always loved watching how the rooms in the White House were transpired for the Holiday.  

My favorite was the one year that Hillary Clinton had everything decorated like a winter wonderland.     All the rooms looked like a wintery white dream.  

Since I don't remember seeing any promos for this show last year or for this year I assume they no longer televise it.   My guess is that it became too costly for production.

I remember that year and how beautiful it looked.  The winter wonderland is one of my favorite themes.  It just seems so fitting for the season.

Honored Contributor

I've got several books on the White House at Christmas, but I really wish there was a documentary book that offered a comprehensive array of photos, particulalry more recent years when the holiday decorating of the house became more of a focus.

Honored Contributor

It had become an anticipated holiday tradition to watch it, but I won't be watching this year - and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Well, to me the White House is the White House and I have watched all of the administrations who were there, are there, and will be there, no matter who is in there!  I have also read biographies of most of the presidents and first ladies, no matter what their affiliation is.

It's our history, our house, and no matter who they were or what I thought of them I can honestly say that I learned something about each person that I respected and admired.  ALL of them.

And the White House is the White house.  It got so bad people were talking about tearing it down but it was gutted to the walls inside and rebuilt, the furniture got cheap and shabby and antiques were collected and the house brought back to it's glory in the 60s, so to me it is all interesting, anyone who gets there is interesting and must have something going for them, so I want to read about it, see it, reflect on it, and love it!  It's living history and very much a reflection of this country and it's times. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

It had become an anticipated holiday tradition to watch it, but I won't be watching this year - and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

And it's probably for the best to leave it at that... 

If it's on, I'll be watching. It's a beautiful mansion, stunningly furnished and many of the rooms are typically beautifully decorated... I'd venture to surmise that's why most watch... The occupant at any given time is largely not the most relevant factor...