Honored Contributor

Re: While watching fixer upper ....

@Zhills wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I can tell you that in both Pennsylvania and Florida you can't get a mortgage without a report from a licensed inspector. Our home was a new build and had been inspected as it was being built by the county electrical, plumbing,heat pump installation and all the stuff to be certain it was up to hurricane resistance.But still, before the mortgage company would give the final approval we had to have a licensed inspector. what was odd to me about that was we were using the mortgage company owned by the builder, but they didn't trust their own company.

It's not a matter of trust.  It is following the laws of the state of Florida.  You also have to have an inspection to get homeowners insurance.

It wasn't the state that needed the inspection it was the mortgage company.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

@151949

I purchased my home in FL in 2013 and no inspection was required except for a wind mitigation and roof inspection for homeowners insurance (which is insane here!!!! As well as auto!$$$).  

I chose to have an inspection done due to all the horror stories about "sinkholes". It was worth the $300 for peace of mind.

Perhaps each area is different but I don't recall it being a condition for the transfer of deed. Actually, coming from NJ with all the rules, fees, inspections, paperwork, etc. this purchase was done thru a title company so quickly I couldn't believe it -- 3 weeks from offer to close!

Moved in next day!

OOPs @151949 I'm sorry didn't see the word mortgage! I would delete my post but doesn't allow me! 

Ok - no biggie.

We had to get a mortgage in case we didn't sell our house up north before the closing down here.Fortunately, we did sell but that getting a mortgage in 2010 right after all the bank collapses was horrific. As it turned out , if we took the mortgage from the builders mortgage division they were having a promotion that they would pay all your closing costs. saved us $7000.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another thing I always wonder about the homes they do -when they tear the plaster off the walls and expose that shiplap that she so loves to just paint and then- that's it - there is your wall. Well,Waco is near Dallas and I have family in Dallas and I know it gets very hot there in summer and cold in winter, so since they have torn the wall down and taken out the insulation( if there was any in those old homes) it would seem those walls would be drafty and cold/hot. Personally , i have never seen them through the course of the rebuilding ever putting in any insulation.When you buy a new home they are very much weatherproofed as well as possible. Honestly, my camper seems to be better insulated than these homes they redo.

Honored Contributor

And i agree with the person who said they are too cutsey to be real.I'm sure they are just putting on an act for tv.He seldom referrs to his kids by name, calls the boys buddy and the girls sweetie. Can't he remember his own kids names?

Valued Contributor

I enjoy the show too ... But wonder how it works with the furniture that Joanna uses when they reveal the house to the homeowners.  I can't imagine that furniture comes with the house, but do you think they are given the option to buy it or how do you think that works ??  I think maybe Joanna owns it and uses it for staging purposes, but if you really like it you can buy it ??   Any ideas ??

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Graciesmom   I think the furniture is just staging.  I do think that the homeowners get to keep the special pieces that she has Clint make for them.  Then I would imagine that they can buy any other pieces that they want.  I don't know this for sure though.

I think if the furniture was included it would have to be in the estimates that they give them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

I live in TX and am familiar with this show and the Waco area. First, the homeowner has to pay for everything -- the demo and remodeling, as well as those "oops, we found a problem" costs, come out of their pocket.

The furniture and landscaping are provided by the Gaines, and are removed after the project is complete. The furnishings come from Joanna's store. If the homeowner wishes to keep anything, they purchase it. Yes, even the landscaping.

When a homeowner signs on, there is a lengthy contract -- about 12 pages.

Respected Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

I live in TX and am familiar with this show and the Waco area. First, the homeowner has to pay for everything -- the demo and remodeling, as well as those "oops, we found a problem" costs, come out of their pocket.

The furniture and landscaping are provided by the Gaines, and are removed after the project is complete. The furnishings come from Joanna's store. If the homeowner wishes to keep anything, they purchase it. Yes, even the landscaping.

When a homeowner signs on, there is a lengthy contract -- about 12 pages.

Thanks for the inside info, LonestarBabs!  They remove the plants and trees after the show ends?  OMG!  How tacky is that?  I didn't realize the furniture also went.  I guess it's still worth it because they get some great design and building help.  I love that show but it is diminished in my eyes now that I know that the homeowners don't get what they show us.  HGTV is cheap, cheap, cheap! 

Do you know how often people shell out the $$$ for the plants and furniture?  I'm not sure where they'd get the money because it seems that their budgets are always spent.

Respected Contributor

Yes, clients have the option of buying the furnishings. Here's an article about it.  

I love Joanna's style....a great mix of vintage and modern.  I'd love to have her do my furnishings!

Honored Contributor

I thought the landscaping was included in the estimate given to the homeowners.  I can't imagine them removing it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau