Honored Contributor

Very lovely room and furniture!

I'd loose the plates. I have a 'thing' about something in the center of a table that has an obvious 'back' to it and someone has to stare at the back of something.

A centerpiece and candles flanking are more than enough, Your room and furniture and drapes speak for themselves. Elegant and lovely.So less is more on the table.

I disagree with the other poster about the length of  a runner. Not saying she isn't right technically according to the 'rules' but the right runner being shorter is not a bad look to me.

And just a pet peeve of mine, but a table cloth should always be ironed perfectly. The entire tablescape effort is wasted when there is a cloth that is either wrinkled or has the creases from ironing/folding showing. 

Respected Contributor

mominohio wrote, in part: ". . . I disagree with the other poster about the length of  a runner. Not saying she isn't right technically according to the 'rules' but the right runner being shorter is not a bad look to me. . .." 

Hello, @Mominohio  We do not disagree that the "'right' runner being shorter is  not a bad look."  A shorter-than-the-table runner is a casual look, though.  The ambiance of such a look, and that sort of runner, should be lightweight.  This room is heavy and formal and the runner in these photos has those heavy tassels that should hang over the ends.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Re: Which one looks best?

[ Edited ]

@kelsey17 wrote:

I would keep the centerpeice and the candles.....i would not put the plates there....Smiley Happy.....................nice dining set!

I agree with you @kelsey17 along with another caveat.  I think the runner should be longer.  If it were longer,  you could use it alone and ditch the tablecloth until dining time.  I like the centerpiece (taking the candlestick out of the centerpiece and just using the candle nestled inside) with the two huge candlesticks on your table.

Honored Contributor

I agree with everyone that thinks the plates should be taken away. Only things that can be seen all the way around should be on the table IMO.

Honored Contributor

For Christmas?

I'd use a tablecloth that matched the dinner plates.

Nothing but tapered candles, perhaps some fresh flowers in the middle. 

Christmas dinners are BIG and all the glassware, serverware will fill up the table space.

Unless you're looking for ideas to decorate the table when dinner will not be served, just for a holiday effect, I'd ditch the centerpiece, it's candleholder and the pillar.  Also the runner, small plate and both plate holders. 

Keep the larger plate laying flat in the middle with the two metallic holders and candles flanking it. 

Would look beautiful to take up the tablecloth and table pad and let the reflection of the candle holders show off your table.  Of course, just for show, not for sitting down and eating.

Honored Contributor

Wow pretty difficult to give a constructive opinion. This style isn't my taste at all but I am a fan of the old saying that less is more. But IMO even the lesser photo its all still too crowded. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

I bought this tablecloth because it does match the Lady Carlyle china.

Honored Contributor

Both are too busy.

Honored Contributor

Looked up china pattern, very pretty!  But very delicate and feminine.

Can't access the pics you posted for some reason, but if memory serves me correctly, centerpiece was very woodsy, dark and thick.

I'd go with a crystal vase with some flowers *in kind* that compliment the china.  Does this service have vases available?

Valued Contributor

thank you