Esteemed Contributor

Re: Which color/decor trends do you recall over the years?

Boy, does this bring back memories.  We married in 1966 and will be married for 49 years in November.  

Early on, we did the big trend things.  Green appliances, shag carpeting, etc.

But we quickly learned what our style was and never looked back.  

We we have a "New England home."  It's a typical white colonial house.  We both love Early American history and love going to sites to see how people lived during this period, including the Shakers.  Love antique pieces, scattered here and there throughout the house.  Bought good quality furniture, that never truly goes out of style.  I took painting lessons years ago, and some of my works we will have forever.  We also have some Hitchcock furniture around.  I learned to stencil, and have done some of that in the house.  It's not like a museum, to be sure, but a warm and welcoming home.

We learned your home is truly your castle.  The only place on earth that you can control what surrounds you.  Of course, we have too much stuff at this point, and have got to clear out our big attic, garages, basement, etc.  Yuck.  The worst part of being savers!

Honored Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

General-Electric-Refrigerator-GE-Vintage-Coppertone-Brown-1960s.jpg

WE bought our first house in 1973 and purchased all new kitchen appliances in------COPPERTONE. Remember that? 

I remember my parents got a new fridge in this color, frost-free and with a bottom freezer drawer. It was state of the art back then. Actually, I still like this color and think it's one they should consider bringing back. It was a great neutral and so much more versatile than the harvest golds, avocados and turquoises they were also pushing at the time. Also liked the short-lived 'cranberry' appliances. Anything but stainless. I have no desire for my kitchen to look like a 'restaurant style' kitchen.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

re: the appliance color "COPPERTONE. Remember that? "

Sure do.  All the kitchen appliances were that color when we bought our house from its previous owners in 1978.  The kitchen wallpaper was yellow with brown teapots and some other graphic images that I can't recall--thank goodness.  The countertops were yellow Formica.

On top of that, the original handrails of the three oak staircase banisters in the house had been painted black (which  my husband spent months stripping, sanding and refinishing to match the oak hardwood floors).

Every wall in just about every room had been painted a blue-green that I believe is still available from Benjamin Moore today, but which I will NOT allow on any wall anywhere again.

The dining room was wallpapered in some Williamsburg-style design that was of course, blue-green.

The dining room and living room window treatments were heavy-duty gold brocade, and even though they were tied back on the sides, they overpowered any view outside the window.

When I redecorated with the help of a designer, two popular colors at the time were mauve and gray--for carpets, upholstery and walls.  I've long since ditched the mauve, but various shades of gray remain a favorite.

Also long gone are the pieces of Mediterranean furniture that my husband brought to the marriage.  Oh, those were the days..........

Honored Contributor

i love antiques so when I got married in 1983 and we bought a house I went full bore into the country theme... pink walls pink and blue furniture, wallpaper in almost every room , all oak furniture. Then in the kitchen I had peach and green plaid wallpaper. It was current and pretty at the time. 

Valued Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

General-Electric-Refrigerator-GE-Vintage-Coppertone-Brown-1960s.jpg

WE bought our first house in 1973 and purchased all new kitchen appliances in------COPPERTONE. Remember that? 

THAT's my mother's fridge! The family moved into the new house in 1960 with appliances in that color and the countertop was a light yellow spotted/sparkly laminate, floors were white linoleum tiles with spotted sparklies of yellow, blue and brown and the underneath had the asbestos backing, and lead painted walls.  

Respected Contributor

I'm old enough to have seen 'em all!  LOL

Correction to others...(j/k)...it was not pink, it was mauve and country blue. <grin>

I remember gold, avocado shag rugs and coppertone appliances.  I did the hunter green and rust, burgundy and navy, saw the black and white....

Denise
Valued Contributor

My first apartment had burnt orange shag carpeting, beigy kitchen, dark wood trim. I rented furniture (big money mistake), that had a beige background with the burnt orange and brown plaid look. Second apartment in same place but bigger had green shag, same beige kitchen and dark wood, so I bought used rental furniture with a beige background and flower bunches all over (it matched anything and everything). Can't describe the fabric at all, like a velvet/velourish. 

Then I married, and we lived in many places (military). Sold that flower furniture for the price I bought. Our next homes were whatever we got  with the military. So I didn't get to see any trends of the day.

Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

I'm old enough to have seen 'em all!  LOL

Correction to others...(j/k)...it was not pink, it was mauve and country blue. <grin>

I remember gold, avocado shag rugs and coppertone appliances.  I did the hunter green and rust, burgundy and navy, saw the black and white....

You are right. When I saw another poster mention mauve I said, "Yes! That's the color!" 

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Our first kitchen table and chairs were metal in medium blue.  Hand-me-down.  Replaced with wood table with glass top.

Our first sofa was a (new) turquoise almost short shag-like material.  Not good for pets; not good at all.  Then there was moss green, then gray with stripes and flowers. 

Kitchen appliances over the years:  avocado, bisque, white.  Ugh!

First bedroom suite - gray.

Walls were white in every room.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

This is a fun thread!

I was born in 1961, and my folks, for many years had the Early American style of the 50' and 60's and really didn't represent much of the true early American style that is classic from the 1600's and 1700's.

Huge, flouncy lamp shades, Large print curtains, and upholstered pieces, ick. 

Then my folks got more traditional and when I moved out, my first apartment had green shag carpet, avocado green appliances, and no dining room in the 1970's was without some kind of small live tree in the corner!

When I bought my first house (mid 1980's) it was country all the way. Blue and mauve, hearts and teddy bears, lots of doilies. I got lots of compliments, and really loved putting together that first house. 

We bought this house in 1994, and toned down the country a bit, and infused some Victorian elements. Still was some blue and mauve, but other rooms in hunter green and some more neutrals in carpeting and upholstered tan furniture.

Slowly going more neutral. Still love my antique oak furniture, and will probably always have it.