Honored Contributor

Which color/decor trends do you recall over the years?

My first kitchen was a country pink print wallpaper. I had ducks and geese all over the place.  

I also remember a time when Victorian was all the rage. I had hunter green walls in the living room, with doilies and fussy stuff everywhere.

Which trends do you recall?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Which color/decor trends do you recall over the years?

Quite a few years ago Mediterranean furniture was popular.  I bought into that and for a couple of years had an orange velvet sofa and chair with a lot of carved wood on it.  That furniture became hard to live with and we sold it after only a couple of years.  My taste is much more conservative now.

Honored Contributor

I'm putting together a scrapbook for my granddaughter whose 4 from all the pics of her daddy when he was growing up. (figured they never take pics and if the do they never make it further than the computer version and she ❤️s looking a pictures I have).

Im just looking at our first home - OH my!!! All country wallpaper, big cabbage roses, and that pine/dark paneling, green walls and shag rugs and more!

thanks @ house_cat for bringing up this fun topic.

(I'm into light colors blended with French country decor nowadays!)

Respected Contributor

Mid-seventies, apartment with gold shag carpet & harvest gold kitchen appliances.  It was a fairly new complex, so right on trend for the time.  Back in the "olden" days when some apartments were for singles & couples, no kids.  All the older generation at that time were home owners.  Not saying we should go back to that, but we sure had fun on that shag carpetWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

In the fifties, when my parents bought a house, kitchens had metal cabinets in the popular colors avocado or harvest gold.  We had avocado.

The kitchen tables (considered retro now) were also metal, with padded plastic chair and back pads.

I remember later in the 60s there were those outdoor chairs made of fiberglass.  They came in a lot of different colors.  Turquoise and coral were popular.  

And for some reason, we and a lot of neighbors had a black panther on top of our tv.  It lit up and its eyes glowed.  Of course the tv was in a cabinet.  (Gosh, the panthers are all over the internet!)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

In the early 90s my kitchen was black and white...with a cow theme. Country deco all over the house, got lots of compliments. Today I am more of the Pier 1 type. I have gone into houses that are still very much country. Where do you buy that stuff today?

Respected Contributor

Well now... Went from  modern, to country, to very early american - like early 1800's antiques and reproduction upholstered pieces, to a more casual  atmosphere of mixing later antique pieces with contemporary furnishings - it is a good mix. My house tends to be a lot of earth tones. I  will never ever buy anything blue for my house again - had enough of that back in  my country decorating days!!  My husband laughs at me about it - "he's always like "they have it in blue..." , I just give him one of my "looks"!  

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

General-Electric-Refrigerator-GE-Vintage-Coppertone-Brown-1960s.jpg

WE bought our first house in 1973 and purchased all new kitchen appliances in------COPPERTONE. Remember that? 

Honored Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

General-Electric-Refrigerator-GE-Vintage-Coppertone-Brown-1960s.jpg

WE bought our first house in 1973 and purchased all new kitchen appliances in------COPPERTONE. Remember that? 

I sure do.  I was married in 1982 and our first apartment was already furnished in this style. The kitchen walls had wood paneling half way up and the wallpaper was tones of brown and gold flowers - HUGE flowers.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Sofa covered in velour fabric with big flowers.  Had three of those. 

Funny story with one of them.  My son was about a week old and I was sitting on the sofa changing his diaper.  As little boys sometimes do, the diaper was off and he peed straight up and hit the burgundy flower at the top of the sofa.  That flower then "bled" down the back of the sofa.  Nothing could get the red dye out of the background.