Honored Contributor

Re: Where should I hang the picture?

In that the bed is the main focal point, a picture that large should be centered over it unless there is an extremely high headboard which would cause the picture to be placed too high.

Trusted Contributor

I'd be inclined to center it over the bed as it's the focal point of the room.  If you have painters tape, you could tape it out various ways to see which looks best. 

Honored Contributor

In my opinion, it would be about how high (or how far from your ceiling) the head board is. 

I generally don't like much above a headboard, because it makes the artwork appear to be too close to the ceiling. But I have rather tall headboards. I think it gives the room a cleaner look if there is nothing hung over a headboard, unless it is a very very low headboard.

And if your bed is covering part of your window, that is really not a good look from inside or outside the house. I'd figure out another way to arrange the room, so that the bed did not extend into the window (I'm assuming that you mean the head of the bed extends into the window or covers the window partially, sorry if I misunderstand and that is not the case).

Honored Contributor

You have to wonder if architects think about the size of beds when they place windows.  My favorite configuration -from the user's standpoint- has part of our queen size headboard in front of a window.  A full size bed would look perfect, but that isn't happening unless we had his n' her bedrooms.  To answer the question, I'd center the picture.

Honored Contributor

I'd move the nightstand to the other side and put it under the window, making it possible to move the bed so it's centered on the wall.  Then I'd hang the picture centered over the headboard.

Honored Contributor

Another thought is to move the bed to a different wall where the window wouldn't interfere.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the ideas.  Unfortunately (or fortunately depending upon how you look at it) my wall space is limited.   One wall is almost all windows, one wall is closets, and the triple dresser is on another wall.  The wall the bed is on also has a window.  I like the room because of all the windows, but it does limit the decorating scheme.  

I think I will hang the print centered over the bed and then try to find two smaller tulip prints to hang on the side to balance off the window.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta