Esteemed Contributor

Re: Where does all the dust come from.........?

@jlkz Gee - I forgot that one.  No radiator here but - yes - the bathroom baseboards.

I slipped up on that one................funny!

Honored Contributor

Dust is about 50% dead skin cells. 

Dust mites, dirt brought in from outside, lint from rugs and fabrics, the list goes on.  

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Sunday - Question a Caller just asked David & Amy re:  Roomba

Caller stated no pets - no smoking in her house - just 2 people husband/wife

Where does all the dirt and dust come from????

Here are my ideas............

when was furnace last cleaned ?

do you replace furnace filters several times per year

flannel sheets & blankets give off more dust - fibers than most realize

flannel - wool - heavier jackets - coats

dirt - soil from shoes/boots

lots of dust enters building through window screens & open windows

fibers from paper products:   tissues - toilet paper - paper towels

even fine dust  from makeup - blushes - brushes - 

Big one:  bathroom towels - fluffy or not

Another big one - fireplace - pellet stove - electric heaters blow floor dust around

The nice lady sounded so frustrated - got me to thinking - where does grit come from - without pets & kids.

Add more sources if you have ideas......................

Electronics are the biggest offenders at my house:  computer screens, TV screens.  They are the worst.

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

I know where my dust comes from.  We live with our windows open 24x7/365 and living beach front, it gets dusty.  Plus, I have a husband and puppy, so, there are my dust sources...LOL!

@SurferWife 

I get in my car in the garage and the dash is yellow with pollen.  How does it do that when the windows are not open and the car has been garaged?  

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday Car pollen....my guess     Your intake air vents take in the pollen when you're driving - fresh air or air for heater or A/C.........it collects in your pipes.  When the car sits still - air stops circulating and lands on your seats - dashboard, etc.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@Nonametoday Car pollen....my guess     Your intake air vents take in the pollen when you're driving - fresh air or air for heater or A/C.........it collects in your pipes.  When the car sits still - air stops circulating and lands on your seats - dashboard, etc.

@fthunt 

That makes sense.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

I know in our home, we have no furnace/duct work. Electric baseboard heating. 

I've found most of our dust comes from a couple of things. Master bed/bath are the worst, as that is where bedding is constantly moving, towels to dry off from shower, clothing being changed.....all generates a lot of dust. 

One area of our home has very old carpet that needs replaced. The older the carpet, the more dust it gives off, regardless of how much you vacuum. The fibers just break down easier, as does the padding underneath. In places of the home that we replaced carpet with new, the dust is dramatically less than it was with the older carpeting. 

We have windows open in warm weather (no air conditioning) and lots of pollen and dust work their way in. We help combat that by wiping down all screens in windows and doors, and all sills, at least once a week. It's totally amazing what comes off those screens and sills. 

Upholstered furniture and curtains hold and release dust. It doesn't bother me enough to do away with those things though. I just know I have to clean deeper and more often. It's worth it to me, to have the comfort and the look I want.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I know in our home, we have no furnace/duct work. Electric baseboard heating. 

I've found most of our dust comes from a couple of things. Master bed/bath are the worst, as that is where bedding is constantly moving, towels to dry off from shower, clothing being changed.....all generates a lot of dust. 

One area of our home has very old carpet that needs replaced. The older the carpet, the more dust it gives off, regardless of how much you vacuum. The fibers just break down easier, as does the padding underneath. In places of the home that we replaced carpet with new, the dust is dramatically less than it was with the older carpeting. 

We have windows open in warm weather (no air conditioning) and lots of pollen and dust work their way in. We help combat that by wiping down all screens in windows and doors, and all sills, at least once a week. It's totally amazing what comes off those screens and sills. 

Upholstered furniture and curtains hold and release dust. It doesn't bother me enough to do away with those things though. I just know I have to clean deeper and more often. It's worth it to me, to have the comfort and the look I want.

@Mominohio 

You don't have long-term asthma like me.  Oh, Lord.  Everything causes me to have trouble breathing.  I have had to streamline my house and as much as I wish I did not, have gone back to leather furniture. It is so cold looking and so noncomfortable but I had to do it.  It just looks harsh and uninviting.

Respected Contributor

Dust comes from your skin.  Your skin is constantly shedding.  Skin.  From humans.  That's where dust comes from-another unpleasant fact of life.