Esteemed Contributor

Re: Where do you look or who do you ask to get qualified and safe people to do home repairs?

I am a real advocate for Nextdoor.com. Of course it will depend on how active your neighborhood is. I live in a lively area and have gotten great references. Even if it is for something I don't currently need there is a bookmark feature for future reference.

Respected Contributor

Re: Where do you look or who do you ask to get qualified and safe people to do home repairs?

I understand completely.  When we moved to our new state we didn't know anybody.  A month of living in the house, we had a major water leak from upstairs master bathroom the ended up revealing more leaks and problems.  Honestly, this house has been one repair after another.  Some we anticipated, most we did not.  The internet was and is my best friend.  I google and research everything.  When I read their reviews, I make sure they are recent reviews.  Plus all companies must be licensed and insured.  My area sends out a magazine type book that has its "Best Picks."  I don't always agree with what companies are in there.  Also, if you have a neighborhood app or something similar in way to communicate, there's always recommendations on it (NEXTDOOR APP).  Always get at least 3 quotes.  Google what you should look for in a contractor.  Arm yourself with knowledge and research so you're more confident.  Talk to neighborhoods and ask who they've used in the past and would recommend.  

Respected Contributor

I have successfully used Next Door and Thumbtack apps.  Also, check to see if there is a neighborhood Facebrook group for your community.  I've used that for lots of recommendations.  I love the suggestion to ask at the pizza place! 

Honored Contributor

Try Angie's List or Home Advisor.

Also sign up at Next Door online.  Ask for whatever you need.  Small businesses are usually watching to get customers.  Make sure they have references, are bonded, and will give free estimates.  

Ask your neighbors.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 

I have had wonderful results with Angie's List.  Workers in all areas are listed with reviews and they only get on there by references.

Then you review.  Wonderful for these times (and convenience).

I'll never do it another way!!!Smiley Happy

@AngelPuppy1 

The "section manager" just called to see if my team could do anything "extra for me when they come this Friday".  I asked that they text me when they leave since if I don't work, I'll run errands to keep out of their way.

Service and communication like this can't be beaten.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   If you have an Amazon Echo product, ask it. Smiley Wink

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

We use YELP online and have had good luck with all we have hired through them from dog groomers to dentists to yardworkers.I love real customer reviews. Also we get a directory in the mail a "Diamond Cetified Directory" that lists local companys in our county and rates them.They might have one for your area. Had good luck with them too. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your great suggestions!  I so appreciate it!  I don't do Facebook or any of that kind of thing.  I had a not so good experience in the past with this so I closed the book on this.  I don't have an Echo or any of those products either.  I didn't know if Angie's List was really reputable, as I was worried that busineses might actually pay to get listed on there.  I am just not knowledgeable about this type of thing at all.  I guess you hear so many "horror" stories about all of these things, that I am really nervous about it!  We don't have many neighbors.  We asked a couple that we have talked a bit to and they were no help.  Other ones are not nice so we can't go there.  Family members live pretty far away so that's no help.  Most friends live out of state and ones we do have, they get family members to help them.  We did not realize we needed some of these things done until just now so that is why we didn't address them earlier.  Also, we have both had health issues and have not been able to address other issues.  Thanks so much!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

I understand your dilemma as we are an older couple too and fairly non tech. Here is what we've done to get help. We asked our Ben Moore store about good painter. Lucked out as he was the best painter we've ever had. When we see any contractors trucks working in our area, husband stops and talks to them even if we don't need their services immediately. A good source of recommendations for me is my hair stylist and other stylists in my salon. They have led me to some excellent companies. Also, and this is a biggie, whenever any worker or company is working at your home, pick their brains! Ask an electrician if he knows of a good plumber. Ask a painter if he knows someone who installs grab bars in bathroom. Etc.  These workers and contractors get around everywhere and they know who does good work. Be patient. I've been waiting 2 years to get a certain contractor to work on my kitchen cupboards. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

We are needing to get several things done now that it looks like warmer weather is finally here.  However, we don't know anybody and don't know who to ask to get qualified and safe people to do some things as far as outside painting, some landscaping issues, and other assorted maintenance work.  Any ideas?  We don't know people and our family is no help as to ideas or who to ask.  We are afraid we might end up with scary and/or unreputable people, as you hear so many horror stories about people just waiting to harm and/or rip off elderly people!  We thought about asking a local hardware store if they had any ideas or people they could recommend.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Thank you so much! 

First, NEVER use people who roam around ur area or call u on the phone saying, "we're doing work in ur area, etc. etc." Total SCAMMERS. I've found service people on nextdoor dot com. I posted that I'm looking for a painter - or handyman, etc. All the service people that I hired live within 20 minutes from my home - so they're local. Many times, handymen could replace or repair things - instead of calling a contractor (who is usually expensive). Always call at least 4 people for each job - make sure they can come to ur home and not charge a fee - and have them give u a FREE quote. They could write this out - and break down how much they charge for individual things. You could also choose who u trust and feel most comfortable with. Many times, they teach u things that u need - when u didn't even think of it. You could also google their name and company name, Also check out Yelp (Yelp has also been helpful for me.) Three years ago, I needed shutters in 2 bedrooms - and I contacted 2 companies on Yelp with many 5 Star Reviews. The owner of a company that installed shutters who responded first got the job - and did a great job.