Honored Contributor

Where do you look or who do you ask to get qualified and safe people to do home repairs?

We are needing to get several things done now that it looks like warmer weather is finally here.  However, we don't know anybody and don't know who to ask to get qualified and safe people to do some things as far as outside painting, some landscaping issues, and other assorted maintenance work.  Any ideas?  We don't know people and our family is no help as to ideas or who to ask.  We are afraid we might end up with scary and/or unreputable people, as you hear so many horror stories about people just waiting to harm and/or rip off elderly people!  We thought about asking a local hardware store if they had any ideas or people they could recommend.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Thank you so much! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

Re: Where do you look or who do you ask to get qualified and safe people to do home repairs?

You could try Home Advisor web site.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Where do you look or who do you ask to get qualified and safe people to do home repairs?

My hubby always searches on line and then he will check the companies standing with the state website, such as licensure and insurance.  Asking the hardware store is actually a good idea, also if you have a Home Depot or Loews in your area they contract with many people and as long as it isn't something they do for them you can hire them on your own.

Respected Contributor

Ask your neighbors -- it's a way to get to know them.

My secret: Ask the owner of the busiest pizza place in your area. They know everybody.

Respected Contributor

Better business Bureau  website will tell you who you can hire in your area and their rating

Esteemed Contributor

I'll add this to the suggestions - because I have same issue as you.

Ask small retail hardware stores in your area............they know people who buy supplies - where large box stores may not know their customers as well.

If you need specific help with roof - siding - landscape - plumbing.......call businesses (yellow pages) who do that type of work.  Their people will be fully insured and qualified.

I need screen porch repair - so have 2 names of screen and porch businesses to call.

Respected Contributor

You could also try Angie's List - I think they changed the name to Angi recently. Whenever I used that, I made a point of checking potential companies' Better Business Bureau ratings, too. Between the two of them, I got some excellent companies. Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

Exterior painting: go to your local Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore paint store and ask for referrals. Do so ASAP. 

Landscapers will be coming around your neighborhood soon. Check out who the neighbors use, or get reerrals from a local nursery/ garden enter. The big box stores will likely NOT be helpful with referrals.

Expect to wait months (like June) for work to be done. It's busy season for both of the above.

Maybe the local harware store can refer you to a handyman service. I got most of my referrals from friends & neighbors. Most were very good (one painter was meh).

For future reference: research such needsa season ahead of when you need the work done: Spring projects must be researched and contracted in the winter. During the summer is the time to get things started on interior work like painting, flooring, window treatments, etc.

Good luck. Be thorough and patient. I am presently researching two businesses for redoing a chair.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I use Nextdoor.com.  With your local neighborhood,s giving recommendations, you can usually trust those vendors to do quality work.  I have found that when someone gives a company a bad review, many others will also post.  Once I have recommendations, I look at the Facebook pages to see what their postings are.  Of course, on that site, read between the lines.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  I use Nextdoor.com.  With your local neighborhood,s giving recommendations, you can usually trust those vendors to do quality work.  I have found that when someone gives a company a bad review, many others will also post.  Once I have recommendations, I look at the Facebook pages to see what their postings are.  Of course, on that site, read between the lines.

Same as @SXMGirl   Join nextdoor .com and ask for recommendations there.