Honored Contributor

Re: Where are people moving to?

@Zhills wrote:

Central Florida is beautiful, simply beautiful.  

Thank God, all of Florida is nothing like the area that one OP on here describes. 

Florida is a beautiful, progressive state with lots to offer for young people and young families. 

Everyone who moves to Florida is NOT old and retired.

Agree... with you!    Our quiet "rural" area has become a mecca-boomtown.  I have to say .... 7 years ago you would see only cows grazing, 2 lane roads, etc.    Now, go to the park, stores, etc. everyone is "young" and love seeing kids!

There must be many companies moving into FL because homes are sold as fast as they can build them!  And certainly not "retirees" buying them.

I've tried to convince both my boys to move from up North (big taxes, stale jobs, better environment for kids) but they are of the same mindset as OP ...both have great jobs in environment & IT.  Both have been offered transfers but not ready.

When i see for $300,000 what they can get in a home here vs. up North I wonder why they both want to stay -- of course, it's the "mom" in me talking (and wishing😉).  My DIL has job interview in SC next week ...who knows they may be closer soon.

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Central Florida is beautiful, simply beautiful.  

Thank God, all of Florida is nothing like the area that one OP on here describes. 

Florida is a beautiful, progressive state with lots to offer for young people and young families. 

Everyone who moves to Florida is NOT old and retired.

@Zhills  Couldn't agree with you more!

Central Florida has it all......I feel so blessed to live here and I am only 45 minutes from the beaches if I want to visit. 

Honored Contributor

Certain areas of Florida are more attractive to retirees than other areas, and no one can deny that in the winter, the number of seniors increase considerably in many places there. 

But Florida is the same as any other state. There are people of all ages and millions and millions of families with children throughout the state. 

I never have understood the OP's continuing to assert different. 

I think when one retires to Florida, and they put themselves in parks or developments designed for retirees, it might seem that older people are about all there is in Florida, but it simply isn't true, it's more the environment one is living in, or the places and times one frequents them that might make it seem there are few children/families. 

I can understand those living full time in the state, being frustrated all winter with the increase in population of both snow birds and tourists. I don't like crowded areas and lots of traffic, and people piled on top of each other. But that is what comes with living in tourist areas, and not unique to Florida either. People have to decide they either want to live with it, or choose to live somewhere it doesn't happen.

Esteemed Contributor

Florida has 14 State colleges, 26 community colleges and 32 private colleges.

Florida has 21 seaports, 14 major airports and 2 spaceports.

Florida has 315 hospitals.  Over 47,000 commercial farmers. 

Other jobs include: 

Airlines
Architecture firms
Banks
Book publishing

Car rental
Financial services
Food and drink companies
Insurance companies
Law firms
Manufacturing companies
Privately held companies‎ 
Restaurants
Software companies
Video Game developers

Florida has 370,000 rental rooms available and 47,000 campgrounds.

Florida has 1,200 miles of beaches!

Florida offers anything your heart desires!

Trusted Contributor

We have lived in many areas. We are retired Navy. Lived in Florida 11 years. We retired to Arizona, stayed there for 8 years but gosh it has high winds among a lot of other things we didnt  care for.Anyway it wasn't our cup of tea. So i searched all over the US and at the time we were moving, North Ga had the most beautiful homes and affordable prices. So thats where we eneded up. Been here 4 years now. Taxes low, weather is perfect. Homes very affordable. You have all 4 seasons which i love. Although the Winter is lovely we seem to get 1 snowfall a year. It is a gorgeous state. No matter where  you go there is beautiful scenery. Traffic is no problem where we live. If you have to work in downtown Atlanta then yes its a nightmare. But we don't and live close to Cartersville. There is nothing i dont like about living here. So thats my story. Homes habe gone up on Georgia since we moved here but i still feel you het the most for your money here. What i cant get over is the amount of trees here. Anyway we love it.

Frequent Contributor

@homedecor1  Will do thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

During SXSW, someone hired a plane to fly over Austin with a banner reading DO NOT MOVE HERE.

@Alison Wonderland

yellow-lol-smiley-emoticon.gif

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm in Las Vegas and we're booming with people moving here.

Respected Contributor

We've lived in VA for 40 years, originally from western PA.  DH retired and we're moving to NC this summer.  Since we''ve always lived on the east coast we decided to stay on the east coast.  Florida just didn't seem to be for us so we started looking around, visiting different communities and decided that North Carolina seem to suit our needs.  We bought in a very large planned community but it's not a retirement community and we hope that we'll be happy there.  I have a good friend that will be living on the next street and another friend that lives about 45 minutes away.  We'll be about 30 minutes from Wrightsville Beach.  I have good friends who are starting to look around too, trying to decide whether to sell their house and move or stay and buy a condo in Florida and be "snow birds".  It's a hard decision and there's not "right or wrong", just what's best for you.  It's espeically hard since two people also have to agree.  DH wanted to a new, single family home, no matter where we went.  We could've done better on a resale and it also would've been easier, we sold our house in 3 days and now we'll be moving into an apartment until the new house is ready, this has been a lot of work and we've purged so much.   The new house won't have a basement.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@KimmC I live in a small development where all the homes are villas (duplexes).  We are only 1 1/2 miles from the beach and so we enjoy the nice sea breezes.  Our plan is small - gated - we have people of all ages from young families with small children to seniors.  There is a pool & clubhouse. No planned activities but we do have sewing club , and several card playing groups, music groups. The HOA sponsors a get together monthly during season, everyone brings something. We usually just go to the Christmas one.

Our HOA fee is $217/month. For that we get use of pool & clubhouse, street maintainence. Exterior of house painted every 7 years and new roofs every 15 years. Basic cable TV with hi def channels and boxes for 4 TVs.All lawn maintainence , landscape maintainence except they only spray the weeds so once the weeds die you have to go in and pull out the dead plants.

Where I live we own the land our home is built on , so it is not a condo - it is a house with land.This makes a difference in who takes care of what outside. Since our places are on a pretty large lake we are required by the covenents to have flood insurance. Because we are in an A flood plain that costs $850/year. The HOA is supposed to enforce this but doesn't, so many people don't have flood insurance. However, our attorney told us that if the other side of our duplex was flooded & not insured we would have legal recourse against the HOA for not enforcing this rule, as that certainly could affect us since the home is attached to ours. Fortunately, we have new "roofmates" and they have flood insurance as do we. our former "roofmate" did not have flood insurance or hurricane ins. That was pretty scary for us.

My DH corrected me - we are B flood plain but the A is only 10ft away from the house.

Could you share what development and where it is or provide a link to the developments website. This is the type of thing I’m looking for. Less maintence of my home. Thanks.