Honored Contributor

Re: Where are people moving to?

I have no horse in this race as I won't be moving to Florida (ever) but the above post by Giddy Up triggered something I'd forgotten about:

In the early 90's,my parents were planning on building and buying a home in a retirement community in Ocala. I remember seeing the pictures of the place, the plans, the drawings and my mom was excited about picking out new colors, flooring, etc. A very different look from the home they were living in, that's for sure.

A few weeks after seeing all of that, I asked my Dad how it was going; they had just returned from a trip to the area. My Dad informed me they would NOT be purchasing after all. Why? Well, one of the features that attracted my parents to this home was the lake behind the house (and all the others). The lots were quite large so the water wasn't RIGHT behind their house (or any of them) but far enough away to be a relaxing sight. Well, apparently in the month or so that they had seen the lot, large amounts of land had "disappeared" into pond/lake including a LARGE amount of their lot. My dad started asking some specific questions relating to distance, pressure, volume of water....a bunch of math/stats/environmental stuff (my dad was a scientist so, he was into research mode) and NONE of the questions were either answered or the answers were BS. They pulled out of the contract and that was that.

My dad had a business trip back to the area months later and sure enough, the developer was building houses in the now much smaller lots. He often wondered what happened to the houses as time passed by. He mentioned his concerns regarding "sink holes" and how it's going to be a nightmare down the road.

He was right.

Frequent Contributor

@giddy up  Hadn't heard about this in these particular areas.  Will look into it..thanks so much!

Frequent Contributor

@SahmIam  YIKES!  Interesting story...thanks for sharing.

Frequent Contributor

@SahmIam  Is it the proximity to lakes that can be a cause of sinkholes?  Do you remember the name of the development by any chance?  Just curious.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The first sinkhole I remember was over 55 years ago and there has only been 1 fatality and I don't think there have been any injuries in that time.

As long as it is just property damage they don't seem to be a big concern.  Property can be replaced just like it is after and other natural disaster; tornado, hurricane, flood, fire, etc.

Google sinkholes and you will find that Florida is a small part of the total area where they occur in the US.  

Just one of the unfortunate occasions of nature!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KimmC

The 4 sinkholes were found in The Villages, Ocala, FL.

From news reports -- 1 home was already "abandoned" to a sinkhole prior to the 4 new ones.

Its been a big thing on the news today.   

check it out: tampabaytimes.com

Honored Contributor

@KimmC  I do not, sorry. I remember looking up Ocala and being wowed by the lushness of the land; to me, FLorida was all beaches, lol. Apparently, there were many horse farms where they were building (or used to be) so my parents, who were not beach lovers, fell in love with the area. 

Esteemed Contributor

Central Florida is beautiful, simply beautiful.  

Thank God, all of Florida is nothing like the area that one OP on here describes. 

Florida is a beautiful, progressive state with lots to offer for young people and young families. 

Everyone who moves to Florida is NOT old and retired.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Central Florida is beautiful, simply beautiful.  

Thank God, all of Florida is nothing like the area that one OP on here describes. 

Florida is a beautiful, progressive state with lots to offer for young people and young families. 

Everyone who moves to Florida is NOT old and retired.

I think there are SOME AREAS of Florida that have something to offer for young people but as well much of Florida does not have opportunities they need to thrive.Not everyone wants to make a living in service  jobs and much of Florida has only that to offer.

Esteemed Contributor

Only if they choose to live in the boonies away from civilization!