Honored Contributor

Re: Where are people moving to?

@highmaintenancejan wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Mominohio

Contrary, it buys a brand new 3br/2ba Villa !! with all the same privilages as everyone else has....

It might help if you quote the post (and maybe re read it) before you answer, as this reply makes no sense related to the post I have to assume you are referring to.

I simply stated that the $170,000 minimum price point you presented as affordable is definitely not for so very many people.

It doesn't matter what it buys, many people in retirement would not find it affordable or attainable.

@Mominohio

Where do you buy a house for less than $170,000 in the USA??

You are joking right? 

Here in the center of the Midwest, that kind of money buys one nice home, in a nice neighborhood, in good condition, if you stay out of the big cities.

The cost of living (including home prices) varies greatly in this country, and usually is tied to the wages available in the particular area. 

$170,000 is no deal in my area of this state, for many many people in retirement here couldn't afford anything close to that.

I have 5 acres with a three story, three bedroom, two bath, two and a half attached garage, home, with mature fruit orchard, artesian well, stocked pond, additional barn with running water and 220 electric, surrounded by a hardwood forest, and based on the appraisal a few years ago, know we would be very hard pressed to get that price for this property, even though the local markets have improved some since that appraisal.

It's one of the reasons many people stay in the Midwest, as cost of living in general is much better than on either coast or in the south along the Gulf or the ocean. Especially people who work in fields that don't pay well regardless of where you live, find living in this area allows them to have more for the money they can make in their field. 

But when it comes time to retire, they are quite shocked by the prices in warm weather coastal areas, and find they either can't live as nicely there as they did up north, if even afford to live there at all.

Honored Contributor

My husband and I are from Wisconsin, we were both born and raised here, and have no desire to move anywhere else. Our children and grandchildren  are here, we are not retired yet, but even when we do retire, we will stay here......I like having 4 Seasons!!!!!! 

Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Florida, no way. Horrible climate for me. If I move out of southern CA it will be north.

@bikerbabe, I've heard people are moving out of CA in droves.  Is that true?  If so, where are they going?

Respected Contributor

@Rockycoast

Do you LIVE HERE???

@highmaintenancejan   Goodness, got your knickers in a knot about something?  All your yelling in posts. Oh my. 

As to your question, we do own a condo in Fl. We just use it for vacations for family and friends. As the saying goes, nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1

Then go back up North...we Floridians would LOVE that!!

Works both ways, @highmaintenancejan.   We in the mountains don't really appreciate the Floridian invasion every spring/summer either.

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@bikerbabe wrote:
Florida, no way. Horrible climate for me. If I move out of southern CA it will be north.

@bikerbabe, I've heard people are moving out of CA in droves.  Is that true?  If so, where are they going?

Most likely to places where the cost of living is way more reasonable.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@bikerbabe wrote:

Most likely to places where the cost of living is way more reasonable.

I’m actually thinking about returning to my native California.  

Trusted Contributor

The Californians are moving to NV and TX. The locals have a name for them: "The Locusts"

Honored Contributor

Where do you buy a house for less than $170,000 in the USA??

Less than ten years ago you could buy a house in Colorado Springs for that amount and it would be a nice house in a nice neighborhood. Today, however, with the demand like it is here now, that same house is selling for nearly double that price tag. In Denver...forget about it. You'd be lucky to find a house for 300,000 or more right now if you could find one at all. 

Respected Contributor

Southeast Valley of Arizona for these former Chicagoans.

We bought a house here in a Del Webb community on a Troon Golf course (we do not golf but, it's quite the attraction here).  The development started in 2006 and our home was built in 2009.  It's a spec home that is the middle house of a cul-de-sac so, our lot is huge and there are no homes behind us so, it's private. 

We were snowbirds until last October when we moved ourselves and my 90 year old dad.  My brother, who has lived in the area for years, turned us on to this place and last year he built a home about 1/4 of a mile from us with related living for my dad.

Yes, it's toasty during the summer but no more humidity  for us and no flood insurance.  Our property taxes are a drop in the bucket compared to Crook County, Il.

We have tons of neighbors from Canada, Washington State, Colorado and Oregon as well as lots of Minnesotans.  

There's plenty of room for whatever your desires are.  We will drive 2-3 hours north into the mountains to escape the hot weather here in the valley.  Can't do that in Florida but hey, whatever floats your boat!