Honored Contributor

Re: Where In The Heck Does All Dust Come From?

@RedTop wrote:

Per the advice of my heating and air guy, I buy cheap air filters, spray them with cheap hairspray when I change them monthly, and I don’t have to dust near as often.   

@RedTop 

Mine told me the same, except to spray them with Pam, to get the dust to stick to the filter.

Honored Contributor

I think having a lot of "stuff" causes more dust to settle and find little cracks and crevices to hide in.  Less stuff, less dust.

Respected Contributor

I change my A/C filter once a month and buy the ones that cost about $2 each.  During months where the heat or A/C isn't running much I may go a little longer on changing it.  I always keep track on my calendar of when I put a new one in. 

Trusted Contributor

"...household dust consists of a potpourri that includes dead skin shed by people, fibers from carpets and upholstered furniture, and tracked-in soil and airborne particles blown in from outdoors."

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/presspacs/2010/acs-presspac-february-17-2010/answering-...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's a losing battle unless we move out of our houses.

Those who examined particles of dust found:

• Dead skin cells
  • Live dust mites
  • Dead dust mites and dust mite feces
  • Pollen and allergens
  • Clothing fibers
  • Dirt brought in on shoes

If you have any rooms where there is little or no activity, windows closed, you notice you don't need to dust as often.  

It's recommended to vacuum carpets and upholstered furniture often to keep the dust mite population down. Use dust mite covers on mattresses and pillows.   

I exfoliate my skin in the bathtub every day to get rid of dead skin cells.  Then apply lotion all over.  But, everyone in the house must do it.  

Use good filters in your furnace.  They come in various grades.  Look for those that catch dust mites, but make sure your furnace can handle pulling air through a dense filter.  It's recommended they be changed once a month or every two even for those that say they are good for 3 months.  Besides keeping your house cleaner, it's hard on the furnace to pull air through when the filter is blocked with dirt.  Every six months is entirely too long.  

For me, portable air cleaners never worked very well. I have heard whole house work better.  Don't know.  

Keep your windows closed.  

Honored Contributor

I like the guardsman dusting cloths, they really pick up the dust , wash on gentle ,cold water,hang to dry.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

Per the advice of my heating and air guy, I buy cheap air filters, spray them with cheap hairspray when I change them monthly, and I don’t have to dust near as often.   

@RedTop 

Mine told me the same, except to spray them with Pam, to get the dust to stick to the filter.

We do the same thing.  There will always be dust but it helps.  Although I wouldn't spray Pam on anything - I've seen what it does to my pans.  Hairspray works.

Respected Contributor

I hate dusting...and housecleaning in general, that's why I pay someone to do it every two weeks!

The LR ceiling is a 20 ft cathedral with beams. The MBR ceiling is a 15 ft cathedral with beams. The CEILINGS get dusty!!!!!! I do have a long pole that I can use for the bedroom, but even with that, it's difficult to dust beams--they are "rustic", so do not have a smooth finish. The living room ceilings are nearly impossible now that we are in our 60's, and I don't want DH on a ladder that high. We'll just have to wait til we get them painted again--hopefully soon. The ceiling fans in there are also unreachable, but thankfully don't get used much, so don't collect much dust.

The MBR ceiling fan, however, is another story! It runs from about 9:00 at night til 7:00 a.m. every single day. The dust is ridiculous. When we can't stand it any longer, DH gets on a stepladder and wipes the fan down well with a Swiffer cloth.

I would never, ever recommend a ceiling height taller than 12 ft.!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

Never heard of spraying with hair spray, but i have heard to buy cheap air filters so your heating system does not have to work so hard.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I just buy the kind of filters my furnace manufacturer recommends. In the owners manual it tells you what not to use to avoid stressing out the motor and decreasing its efficiency to blow air by using a filter that is too restrictive...those kind of filters capture tiny smoke-sized particles and require a heavy-duty motor to pull the air through them. Not all furnaces are designed to use them. You should check your furnace specs for the correct type of filter it needs.