Esteemed Contributor

Re: Where In The Heck Does All Dust Come From?

Dust .... it just never goes away.  I dust and vacuum approximately 5 days a week because I have two collies and it's a necessity.  I should probably do it every day, but sometimes I just don't feel like it.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

So weird! I was just thinking that this morning looking at a big glob of dust!

How does it all get here?! I just vacuumed and dusted last week. It looks like I never did!

Then thought, what the heck, I'll just maybe have it look like a cob-webbed decorated halloween house. I always did like thoseSmiley Happy

Image result for pictures of cobwebs in a house

Related image

Might as well do it up right!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

On TV I've seen those walls of dust/dirt/sand that blow thru desert cities.  I can't imagine how much gets in even with windows closed.

Super Contributor

In Florida, there is a kind of disgusting sandy "grit" that gets on everything in my Sun Room and Screen Room.  It's made worse by the landscapers' mowers, weedwackers and blowers.  Ugh.  You literally have to wipe everything down every day.  I hate it.  I won't win any awards for dusting inside either.  Only when the occasional wild hair strikes.  LOL  Basically, if I am not changing the furniture around which I love and my husband despises, there's not too much dusting going on until it is obvious it has to be done.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My husband bought filters for our floor vents and that seems to cut down a lot of dust.I think he bought them at Lowe’s.

Honored Contributor

Consider changing the filters more often.
Honored Contributor

Per the advice of my heating and air guy, I buy cheap air filters, spray them with cheap hairspray when I change them monthly, and I don’t have to dust near as often.   

Esteemed Contributor

I've have a cleaning lady every 3 weeks and let her take care of the dusting! DH has health problems, so I do pretty much everything else around the house....cleaning it every week is not on my agenda and neither is dusting. DH changes the furnace filters every 2 to 3 months - whenever the thermostat tells us it's time. I think a lot of our dust comes from the kitty litter, so I'm going to look into dustless litter, as someone else here mentioned. Our 3 cats probably contribute to the dust since a lot of it is fur.

Honored Contributor

For the most part, I like to 'dust'. 

I like my furniture, my home and my "stuff". I love a clean home too. So dusting (polishing is what my mom calls it! lol) isn't that bad to me. 

I know our dust comes from two cats and a dog, living in the country with a lot of pollen, and just daily life. Bedroom is the worst, from the bed covers being slung about all the time, and the lint/dust from towels being used in the master bath. 

I know the rooms where we have older carpet, the dust is worse too. I'm sure it is the breakdown of the carpet fibers after all these years. I will say my wood floor shows dust almost immediately after cleaning though too. 

Honored Contributor

Image result for hailo step stool

For those that have issues with getting up to clean ceiling fans or other places like the top of the hutch, or the fridge, I bought one of these, and it is so sturdy and I feel so secure using it. 

H290830

It is kind of in between the typical foot stool and a ladder. 

It will not reach super high areas, like ceiling fans in cathedral ceilings, and it is like storing a smaller ladder, but I was getting up on kitchen/dining room chairs to clean up higher places in my house. This is so much safer, easier to get up and down, and the steps are nice and wide and the whole foot fits, for comfort and good balance.