Regular Contributor

Re: Where In The Heck Does All Dust Come From?

I thought dust was mostly dry skin cells from people’s bodies.  I hope I’m wrong.

Honored Contributor

I used to explain to my sister that light/white furniture is the way to go.  Dark wood shows dust as soon as you finish the room.

I have a high bed and I run the swiffer under there once a week and the amount of dust generated under there amazes me.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Drlinda wrote:

I thought dust was mostly dry skin cells from people’s bodies.  I hope I’m wrong.

@Drlinda.  In the warm weather I have the windows open, that creates dust. My washer and dryer are in the bedroom so there is dust from that. There are always fans blowing in my house so that blows dust all around. I get enough without skin cells.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I change my furnace filter every six weeks with a 10 FPR rating filter and I could still dust every other day. I LOVE the Supercloth's (the European Cleaning Secret, so they claim) I got them from QVC originally but think I got the latest 3 pack from Amazon. Wet them, ring them out good and wipe away. Amazing what they pick up and they last a very long time. They feel quite like a shammy.

@shaggygirl   I havn't heard of these, but I always dampen the microfiber cloths before I dust.

Honored Contributor

A lot of household dust comes from fabric, new things are the worst, and paper products, especially TP. Ever notice how dusty your bathroom gets? That's mostly from the TP and dead skin.

Esteemed Contributor

No glass or mirrored finishes on any horizontal surface.

From downsizing I do not mind dusting. Much smaller home to dust! Takes just minutes now with the right tools from floor to ceiling.. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

A lot of household dust comes from fabric, new things are the worst, and paper products, especially TP. Ever notice how dusty your bathroom gets? That's mostly from the TP and dead skin.

TP is the absolute worst!  Tissues are a close second.  Even the lotion ones.  My desk at work is black and covered in white tissue dust, and I don't even use that many in a day.

Frequent Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I have a love/hate relationship with dust.  My son is allergic to dust mites so because of that I have had to routinely dust, vaccum, wash walls, and launder stuff (curtains, blankets, pillows, etc.).  On the plus side, I have to do that stuff regularly.  On the downside, I have to do it regularly.  Have you ever had your furnace ducts cleaned?  There is a lot of dust that can accumulate there.  We have done every couple of years.  If you decide to do it, some companies will drill through your duct work to suck out the dust.  They will then replace the hole with a plug.  This can create some issues with your air flow.  We searched until we found a company that cleans the ducts without drilling the holes. 

Trusted Contributor

I hate dusting!!  And where I live there is always dust and dirt....Phoenix.  We change our filter every month.  And it needs it.  But maybe the different climates are different.  I feel like we live in a dust bowl.

Honored Contributor

DUST is a "fact of life" if you live on the desert. 

♥Surface of the Sun♥