Honored Contributor

When your family is cleaning out your home someday....

[ Edited ]

I'm neither a hoarder nor a minimalist and I am mindful that someday my family will need to clean out my estate.  I'm determined to make that task as easy as possible by being organized and as decluttered as possible. Still, I think they are going to be surprised by a couple of things:

• the amount of Lock n Lock containers I have in my pantry and elsewhere
  • my yarn stash
  • a trunkful of journals that I've been keeping since my teenage years

How about you?  Anything?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: When your family is cleaning out your home someday....

I still have a lot of stuff and truthfully I am not concerned about it.  I don't have much of any family that will want to or will deal with any of it, so it will be done by strangers and other arrangements that are made.  I am not getting rid of things that I want right now ahead of my demise just so it will be easy for people after I'm gone.  I don't have hardly any family members left and the ones that will probably still be here after I'm gone have already shown me that they don't care one thing about me, so they are not included in anything to do with my belongings.  Just stating what is true.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Not so much me, there's my jewelry.  My husband on the other hand.  Oh My!  To say he has a lot of "stuff" is an understatement.  But his stuff is worth a pretty penny. He's a collector.  He's collected comic books for over 40 years, complete sets and some first edition misc. ones.  Baseball cards, same thing.  He loves autographs, especially sport figures.  Has every hall of famer on a ball and bat.  The list goes on and on.  Our child will have specific instructions on how to handle this and I hope she doesn't sell it off.  

Honored Contributor

what is she supposed to do with all that stuff, 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

what is she supposed to do with all that stuff, 

And what did HE do with it?

Trusted Contributor

We have no family to clean up our mess that we will leave behind. The only thing that concerns me is the cats...and that is fluid, the person who was to take charge has passed on so I'm wondering about who can do it...

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

DH and I have been decluttering for years so we won't have lots of stuff to go through.

I have a few "antique" pieces that will written down as part of the trust. Goes to my two children first and then to their first cousins.

I have a trunk from my great uncle who was in WW l and it's filled with photos and scrapbooks, old church songbooks, bibles, and a few of my childhood mementos.

Anything belonging to DH is kept separate and will go to his two daughters. 

So, we have been planning for a few years now and pretty much things are done.

Makes us feel good but it must be done especially if you have blended families and have adult children.

Esteemed Contributor

Perish the thought!

Nah, there's really not that much, if you don't count music and instruments. There's my jewelry collection, too. They might like going through that. I bet my one granddaughter would like all my art things.

I just don't want to be around to hear all the snide comments.

Trusted Contributor

We own two homes, so it will be a big task if that is still the case when we die.  I am working hard at donating what I am not using, but my DH is someone who accumulates bits and pieces, what-ifs, and maybe someday items.  It will be a mess.  We only have one child and his DW will want to keep everything.  I have already apologized! 

Respected Contributor

I have a few things that are hanging around that I have been trying to get rid of.  I have a aeropilates performer I have been trying to sell on facebook marketplace without much luck and a child's quilt and curtain set on there as well.  I have toys from when my children were little that I am saving to use as therapy materials for my job.  I guess I will get rid of those when I  retire as my girls do not plan to give me grandchildren.  

I would really like to have a yard sale but I don't think I really have enough to put up for sale plus I live in an upscale neighborhood in which I have never seen anyone have a yard sale in the 10 years I have lived here.  In my previous neighborhood there was a yearly community yard sale which was really convenient for getting rid of clutter.