Honored Contributor

Re: When did bathrooms get to be so over the top?

@151949 wrote:

Another thing that cracks me up on house hunters - just a couple - no kids - and the home has 2 bathrooms. However , they can't even consider buying this house because there is only one sink in the master BR and they both have to get ready for work in the morning. So - I guess it is way to far for one of them to actually walk down a hall to the other BR - and it would be unspeakable for one of them to get up 10 min earlier to get done in there first.

@151949  Well, folks used to have to go outside to go to the bathroom and we don't do that any more.  I guess that's a sensible alternative isn't it?  Is there anything wrong with wanting 2 sinks and a little room to get ready before you start your day?  I don't see anything morally wrong about that or indicting a lack of character is someone. . . I sure wouldn't look down on someone for wanting two sinks. . . 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Another thing that cracks me up on house hunters - just a couple - no kids - and the home has 2 bathrooms. However , they can't even consider buying this house because there is only one sink in the master BR and they both have to get ready for work in the morning. So - I guess it is way to far for one of them to actually walk down a hall to the other BR - and it would be unspeakable for one of them to get up 10 min earlier to get done in there first.

@151949  Well, folks used to have to go outside to go to the bathroom and we don't do that any more.  I guess that's a sensible alternative isn't it?  Is there anything wrong with wanting 2 sinks and a little room to get ready before you start your day?  I don't see anything morally wrong about that or indicting a lack of character is someone. . . I sure wouldn't look down on someone for wanting two sinks. . . 

@Sooner. Like you I see no problem with people wanting what they want. Everyone has different wants, styles and priorities. With that said, what some people don't know as they keep bringing it up, the show it scripted. The house hunters have already purchased their home and are reading a script they are given. Like actors who make a movie.

I've mentioned this before, but people still think it is real. It is not. Some silly drama has to be created. So unless posters know real people in their lives that do this, I don't see the point of putting these "actors" down. Who would ever really care how many sinks someone wants?

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Sooner. Like you I see no problem with people wanting what they want. Everyone has different wants, styles and priorities. With that said, what some people don't know as they keep bringing it up, the show it scripted. The house hunters have already purchased their home and are reading a script they are given. Like actors who make a movie.

I've mentioned this before, but people still think it is real. It is not. Some silly drama has to be created. So unless posters know real people in their lives that do this, I don't see the point of putting these "actors" down. Who would ever really care how many sinks someone wants?

I'm agreeing with you 100 percent.  I'm not putting the actors down.  I'm saying what you said:  Who cares how many sinks some people want and why would someone try to put down anyone who does want two sinks?  We've had at one post about how absurd it is to want two sinks. 

To some of us working couples, it really IS a big deal how convenient for us the bathroom is.  Sure makes a difference in how your day starts and ends!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner. Sorry, I was speaking of the poster you quoted.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Hi @proudlyfromNJ yes and it has been mentioned so many times here (that House Hunters is completely made up) - I think some just want to bash on people who like different things or nicer things.

Honored Contributor

It sounds nice but I would not want to clean it!Cat Tongue

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Sooner. Sorry, I was speaking of the poster you quoted.

@proudlyfromNJ  It's ok.  I thought we were saying the same thing!  And yes, I want my two sinks!!!  LOL!!!!  

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I don't think the majority of people who watch the show realize it is scripted. And even if it is/was well known, just the fact that it is repeatedly 'shown' that people 'want' or 'need' something like huge bathrooms, multiple bathrooms, over the top kitchens etc. kind of sets a new standard in people's minds of what is necessary/important/considered 'normal' now, when in fact, it just might not actually be (necessary/important/normal). 

Sure, everyone who can pay for what they want, should have that, and everyone's priorities are going to be different. But what this conversation always evolves into is the absurdity that it is now considered 'necessary' and simply can't be lived without, when we all know better (whether we choose to live with or without it!).

Honored Contributor

Well, I make no apologies for my over-the-top bathroom; I love it.

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Well, I make no apologies for my over-the-top bathroom; I love it.

Me either.

I live in my home for me.  I want to enjoy it as much as possible. 

Cleaning another sink doesn't take that much time or effort.  LOL