Regular Contributor

Re: When did bathrooms get to be so over the top?

Good for you I have a towel warmer also it is wonderful.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Another thing that cracks me up on house hunters - just a couple - no kids - and the home has 2 bathrooms. However , they can't even consider buying this house because there is only one sink in the master BR and they both have to get ready for work in the morning. So - I guess it is way to far for one of them to actually walk down a hall to the other BR - and it would be unspeakable for one of them to get up 10 min earlier to get done in there first.

@151949

That cracks me up too!  Every time I hear a couple moan about there not being 2 sinks in the master BR, I scratch my head.

Often there's a long vanity, with enough room for two people to stand side by side, and get ready together. How much time does the average woman need at the sink. If she showers, then all she needs the sink for is to brush her teeth.

She needs space at the vanity, to do her hair and makeup, but I honestly don't know why two sinks are necessary. One of my homes had two sinks, and my husband and I usually used the same one. LOL.

Honored Contributor

@CaliKat  Much of this stuff goes right over my head. I put my MU on at my vanity table in the bedroom because I prefer to apply MU while sitting comfortably, in front of the window so I have sunlight. But that is just me, I guess. My DH & I can manage to share one sink quite well. For 28 years we shared a tub/shower combo and only one sink in a house with only one full bath. Can you possibly imagine!?!!? Our new house has this huge BR and to me it is just a waste of space.The lady who lives in the other half of our duplex took out the garden tub and had a large klinen closet put in that space.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Back in 1973 when my DH and I first got married, we purchased a Mobile home that had a big bathroom.  We had a double vanity sink, a garden tub, a built in clothes hamper and a fulll size washer and dryer in there behind closet doors.

the house we live in now, we built to our needs.  Our master bath has one vanity, one shower/tub and a toilet,  it is small by today's standards.

Our hall bathroom, that the three children used is much bigger with a huge vanity, but has only one sink.  I have never felt the need to have two sinks.

My nephew has the biggest bathroom I have ever seen.  It is 30 feet wide and takes up most of the width of the front of his house. It is 30x12, so it is more long than wide.  His house has a massive staircase and catwalk, so no bedrooms except the master is in that area of the house.  It's nice, but too big for me.

It seems that the younger set are building really big houses today.  When they retire and still have to pay real estate/school taxes, they will be forced to sell.  I hope by then people will want these massive homes.

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When I was growing up our house had one bathroom - 5 kids and 2 adults got ready every morning for work/school in that one room.Now the adults can't even seem to share a sink. "How can we both get ready with only one sink?"  

@151949

When I read your post I laughed! Our first home had 1 1/2 baths, which meant only one bathtub/shower.

At one point in our lives, we had my sister, brother-in-law, two nephews, one niece, me, my husband and our teenage son, all living in our home together, with only the one bath/shower.  

Eight of us using one bathroom, for three years. Sure, we had to have a schedule, and sometimes someone had to wait a little longer than they would have liked, to get in the shower, but it was never a major problem for anyone.  Although I was very happy when they finally got their own home.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@CaliKat OMG - God bless you for that one.

When I was a kid we had neighbors across the street that had 8 kids and one BR. Sometimes the kids would come over & knock on the door & ask my Mom if they could use our BR. 

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When I was a kid we had neighbors across the street that had 8 kids and one BR. Sometimes the kids would come over & knock on the door & ask my Mom if they could use our BR. 

@151949

Oh wow, 8 kids and only one bathroom! That could be a little challenging. Not so much because of the tub, but the toilet must have gotten very busy at times, especially first thing in the morning, when 8 kids are all waking up at the same time. LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

When we go on vacation we stay in villas that have huge bathrooms sometimes with two separate entrances which I love because I don't have to clean it, but now that both my bathrooms is being completely renovated I think it's a decent size not huge one is much larger than the other and the cleanup is pretty simple which is getting very important to me as I get older.

Another contractor told me that the bathroom and kitchen are the most important rooms in a house.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Back in 1973 when my DH and I first got married, we purchased a Mobile home that had a big bathroom.  We had a double vanity sink, a garden tub, a built in clothes hamper and a fulll size washer and dryer in there behind closet doors.

the house we live in now, we built to our needs.  Our master bath has one vanity, one shower/tub and a toilet,  it is small by today's standards.

Our hall bathroom, that the three children used is much bigger with a huge vanity, but has only one sink.  I have felt the need to have two sinks.

My nephew has the biggest bathroom I have ever seen.  It is 30 feet wide and takes up most of the width of the front of his house. It is 30x12, so it is more long than wide.  His house has a massive staircase and catwalk, so no bedrooms except the master is in that area of the house.  It's nice, but too big for me.

It seems that the younger set are building really big houses today.  When they retire and still have to pay real estate/school taxes, they will be forced to sell.  I hope by then people will want these massive homes.

I also find it odd that the younger generations who are shunning 'stuff' and collectibles, wanting life to be more about experiences (and I'm not knocking that at all, just a statement we often hear from them), and adventure and 'going and doing'..... think they need such huge houses, to put relatively little in, and to be there, very little time.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Not to try to one up you @151949, but as more of a confirmation of what is a want vs a need, I grew up with a family that had 10 kids, and their mom babysat at least five kids every day. They rented a relatively small three bedroom house, with one bathroom. 

I'm not sure every kid in that family even had a bed, let alone their own bathroom, but they all grew up, had normal lives, with no known ill effects to their development or happiness/success!

I think some people have no frame of reference ( not just some posters who have weighed in here on the topic in the past, but those pathetic whiners on the TV shows as well) for just how simple people used to live, and many still do today.

I'm in my mid 50's and was raised in a very middle class neighborhood, but the homes were built in the 1920's. We had neighbors who were doctors and lawyers, so definitely not poverty stricken folks. Our house had only one bathroom, as did many others. If there was even a half bath in the home, well, that was the stuff of 'rich folks'! One of the houses had a master bath, another full bath upstairs, and a half bath on the main floor. Seven kids were raised there, sharing that one upstairs bathroom (the mom said no to using her master bath). And we all were amazed at that many bathrooms in their house! Different times I guess!