Honored Contributor

Re: When did bathrooms get to be so over the top?

@handygal2 wrote:

I know a couple of people who remodeled their master bathrooms. Both took away space from the adjacent closet to make the bathroom larger. I can't understand that. To me, the size of the closet is more important than that of the bathroom, and l would never sacrifice closet space for that.

I realize that some people like master bath 'spas,' but l'm not one of them. I just like to get in and out of there as quickly as possible, lol.

I agree @handygal2. I wish my bathrooms were a little larger, but all I really want is a tad more space than is just 'adequate'. I don't need bathrooms that one could live in... Closet space is clearly more important to me than having a bathroom that rivals Versailles...

I think true 'luxury' bathrooms are just one more indication of the shrinking middle class and the growing divide between the significantly well heeled and everyone else...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

Social media & pop culture has played a HUGE part

in this trend of over-the-top baths & closets.

The husband/wife looking for a home.

The realtor shows a h.u.g.e. walk-in/lifestyle closet & the wife turns to her husband and says, 'Oh that's nice...where's your closet?'...and laughter ensues.   It's just so cliché.

Then the next house doesn't have a bath tub...and the wife almost falls off her platformed heels by running out of the home shaking her head in disgust.....'I'VEGOTTOHAVEMYBATHTUB!!'.  

It's sooooo stupid.  A lot of these house-showing shows has made it into a 'bit', it's so predicable....and staged.  But unfortunately, the watching public believes it & acts it out in real life. 

They really are... The closet line has become borderline offensive it's so predictable... And the 'rejected' kitchen and bathroom scenes are ludicrous... So many of the things the supposed shoppers just can't tolerate are things many of us used to upgrade over time... I had to stop watching HGTV when it become little more than a real estate channel and when the few decor shows they offer all started featuring more or less the same aesthetic, which is rarely mine... I'm also sick of all the 'repurposing'... and 'upcycling'...

Esteemed Contributor

OP practically described my master bath:  20+ foot ceiling, jacuzzi tub, separate walk-in shower with seat and multiple wall shower jets (plenty of room for two!), two separate sinks/vanities with granite counters, one long granite counter with a flat screen TV above it and lots of storage in cabinetry below it, toilet in a separate room, large linen closet, and keep walking through to get to my master closet.

I ❤️ my master bathroom!  Perfect place to relax at the end of a long day and great place to start a busy day.  Don't know how builders or architects came to the decision to create large master baths, but I'm glad they did!

Trusted Contributor

...and the "flipped" homes go over the top for extras and don't include a laundry room many times. I've thought that was awful, what do the new homeowners do, go to a laundramat?

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

I know a couple of people who remodeled their master bathrooms. Both took away space from the adjacent closet to make the bathroom larger. I can't understand that. To me, the size of the closet is more important than that of the bathroom, and l would never sacrifice closet space for that.

I realize that some people like master bath 'spas,' but l'm not one of them. I just like to get in and out of there as quickly as possible, lol.

I agree @handygal2. I wish my bathrooms were a little larger, but all I really want is a tad more space than is just 'adequate'. I don't need bathrooms that one could live in... Closet space is clearly more important to me than having a bathroom that rivals Versailles...

I think true 'luxury' bathrooms are just one more indication of the shrinking middle class and the growing divide between the significantly well heeled and everyone else...

@stevieb

No ...(based on my personal experience and knowledge) ... I thnk it's more the people who want you to think they are "well heeled."   People I know don't display their "assets."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's just me + a cat (not currently, though).

All I need is a toilet, sink (w/ storage underneath & a mirror above), and a shower.

Nice if the shower is connected to a tub, though, for hand-washing and other home-related purposes.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

In looking at model homes now we are seeing some really over the top (esp. in comparrison toi the rest of the house) bathrooms. Huge rooms - garden tubs separate from large sit in showers with many various shower heads. Not just 2 sinks but actually 2 separate vanities. Always the toilet in a separate "room" about the size of a closet.

What really cracks me up is - all this - huge room etc - 1 scant little towel bar to hang up your towels.All this in a room that is only ever seen by the homeowners. 

Generally the guest baths are more just a regular size and style.

Our new house has a seperate closet for the toilet. You can turn on the shower in the master bath without even getting in.  My brother in law and sister has s tv in the shower lol. And has spray heads that come at you from all angles.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

@stevieb

No ...(based on my personal experience and knowledge) ... I thnk it's more the people who want you to think they are "well heeled."   People I know don't display their "assets."

@ALRATIBA That's the difference between 'new money' and 'old money' but, other than those who live well beyond their means, which is certainly a factor, it still takes a bankroll to do a luxurious spa bath...

Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

...and the "flipped" homes go over the top for extras and don't include a laundry room many times. I've thought that was awful, what do the new homeowners do, go to a laundramat?

What cracks me up is we have this huge bathroom but no linen closet. I had to put a cabinet from IKEA in my walk in closet to hold the linens.How dumb was that?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

And another thing - the garden tub- why on earth would anyone want to be naked in a tub with a window right there and the neighbors yard 20 ft away? If you live in the country or something where you can sit there and enjoy the view  - that's different. But we are looking at homes in planned communities where the neighbors are right on top of you.I don't want a window in my bathtub !