Honored Contributor

Re: When did bathrooms get to be so over the top?

@handygal2 wrote:

It's also a matter of practicality, IMO. Who wants to clean huge tubs and showers, and massive clear glass shower doors, and marble, and grout, etc.  ?? Just give me a practical, serviceable, low-maintenance bathroom, and that's all l require. More time to do other things that l enjoy more...

@handygal2

This is it in a nutshell!

Bathrooms need to be spic and span for my tastes. And scrubbing huge showers, having large areas that need to be kept sanitized and pristine (the way I want my bathrooms to be) is more than I want to tackle daily.

I'll admit our bathrooms are unusually small, and can be frustrating at times, but cleaning them is a breeze because they are so small. 

My brother has some huge bathrooms, and every time I see them, I'm simply grateful I'm not the one that has to clean them!

Respected Contributor

My parents house was built in the 1920s and had an enormous bathroom.  I loved it.  the second bathroom was fairly large as well.  Much large than my two.

Respected Contributor

We are in the process of remodeling our master bathroom.  We just moved in last year.  The tub and shower are separate, on completely different sides of room and leaked.  So much work had to be done that we decided to update it.  I have a large home, about 7500 square feet, so you can imagine I have a large master bath.  The master bath was very dark...black granite, dark brown walls, dark brown trim, brown faux painted ceiling and very little light.  It's completely different now.  In creams, beige and ivory.  Took at the very large garden soaking tub and put in a free standing one.  Got rid of the black granite countertops and put in a marble (diano reale).  Added recessed lighting and updated light fixtures, including a chandelier over the tub (not crystal) but transitional I would say.  The tile in the shower was also dark and the little mosaics were peeling off.  All changed...larger, lighter tile with a large built in niche now.  My husband wanted a rain shower so that's the only new addition to the shower.  We had a very large bench in there which we made smaller because, in general, whoever the previous owners had do the bathroom did a very poor job.  I did add a towel warmer to the wall right outside the shower.  It's funny the original poster mentioned about towels, because the original owner of the house had nowhere to put towels. 

Honored Contributor

They say the bath sells the house.  I believe it.  My last house had a master bathroom that was so small the first of many renovations was to change the door to open out.  My current house has a large bathroom.  Double sinks, huge vanity, shower, toilet, linen closet and walk in closet in there.  No tub.  It was the no tub that almost made me not buy.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Social media & pop culture has played a HUGE part

in this trend of over-the-top baths & closets.

The husband/wife looking for a home.

The realtor shows a h.u.g.e. walk-in/lifestyle closet & the wife turns to her husband and says, 'Oh that's nice...where's your closet?'...and laughter ensues.   It's just so cliché.

Then the next house doesn't have a bath tub...and the wife almost falls off her platformed heels by running out of the home shaking her head in disgust.....'I'VEGOTTOHAVEMYBATHTUB!!'.  

It's sooooo stupid.  A lot of these house-showing shows has made it into a 'bit', it's so predicable....and staged.  But unfortunately, the watching public believes it & acts it out in real life. 

Honored Contributor

One thing I do like about my large BR is the separate tub & shower. For one thing I use bath oils for my dry skin and it can make the tub slippery for DH if he gets in there before I had a chance to wash the tub - like if we were getting dressed to go out at the same time. Now with the separate tub it doesn't matter.

Respected Contributor

I like a large bathroom.  I've never lived anywhere with less than 2 bathrooms.   We always had a powder room for guests. I'm very territorial about my bathroom.  I wouldn't want guests in there 

I like  having a private water closet for the toilet.   I can do without a double sink.  I can do without a tub.  I do like enough counter space and storage. 

If people can afford to have big bathrooms, good for them 

Esteemed Contributor

The spa bathrooms are the trend.  One wants to feel pampered. 

I have a sizeable Master bath.  Two pullmans and a vanities on either wall, soak/jacuzzi tub, large shower for four people and a master walk in closet.  Complete with lighting fixture (chandelier style). 

Over the top?  Not in my neighborhood. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@scraphappy wrote:

We are in the process of remodeling our master bathroom.  We just moved in last year.  The tub and shower are separate, on completely different sides of room and leaked.  So much work had to be done that we decided to update it.  I have a large home, about 7500 square feet, so you can imagine I have a large master bath.  The master bath was very dark...black granite, dark brown walls, dark brown trim, brown faux painted ceiling and very little light.  It's completely different now.  In creams, beige and ivory.  Took at the very large garden soaking tub and put in a free standing one.  Got rid of the black granite countertops and put in a marble (diano reale).  Added recessed lighting and updated light fixtures, including a chandelier over the tub (not crystal) but transitional I would say.  The tile in the shower was also dark and the little mosaics were peeling off.  All changed...larger, lighter tile with a large built in niche now.  My husband wanted a rain shower so that's the only new addition to the shower.  We had a very large bench in there which we made smaller because, in general, whoever the previous owners had do the bathroom did a very poor job.  I did add a towel warmer to the wall right outside the shower.  It's funny the original poster mentioned about towels, because the original owner of the house had nowhere to put towels. 

Wow!

I can't imagine having that. I am happy with 1,000 sq ft or less.

I am a simple person.

Honored Contributor

I prefer small bathrooms (and small kitchens) ... a lot easier to keep clean.  Just the basics ...