Esteemed Contributor

Re: When did bathrooms get to be so over the top?

I love my Master BR, not big at all but has everything I need. Picture a galley kitchen, same concept. Open door to the left, the two sink vanity with lots of storage in the bottom and right next to it, linen cabinet and laundry basket in the bottom. On the other side behind the door, toilet and next to it a nice big shower with lights. I have no tub, I can always use the one in the guest bathroom.  

Honored Contributor

When they became wealthy.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

OP: when blogs and Pintrest took over the world. The REALITY is that VERY few actually have bathrooms like this. Same with kitchens. 

Valued Contributor

This trend is far from new.  We have the kind of bathroom you describe and our house was built in 1991.  The same is true of every house in our neighborhood -- all built by different builders.  I love having a separate WC with a door so that my husband and I can easily be in the bathroom at the same time.  The size of the bathroom does not take away from any of the other rooms in the house.  There is a hall leading from our master bedroom to the bathroom that has three closets -- which made furniture placement in our bedroom much easier because there are no closets to work around.  I have to say that I love the large bathroom.  It is my favorite room in the house!  LOL!!  Just another perspective.

Esteemed Contributor

I like a fancy shower with lots of shower heads and steam...maybe in my next home.  I love the idea that each bedroom has a bath too.  And give me lots of linen closet space.

Honored Contributor

When I was growing up our house had one bathroom - 5 kids and 2 adults got ready every morning for work/school in that one room.Now the adults can't even seem to share a sink. "How can we both get ready with only one sink?"  

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio  well said

Trusted Contributor

@151949  me too

Honored Contributor

It's also a matter of practicality, IMO. Who wants to clean huge tubs and showers, and massive clear glass shower doors, and marble, and grout, etc.  ?? Just give me a practical, serviceable, low-maintenance bathroom, and that's all l require. More time to do other things that l enjoy more...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Another thing that cracks me up on house hunters - just a couple - no kids - and the home has 2 bathrooms. However , they can't even consider buying this house because there is only one sink in the master BR and they both have to get ready for work in the morning. So - I guess it is way to far for one of them to actually walk down a hall to the other BR - and it would be unspeakable for one of them to get up 10 min earlier to get done in there first.