Honored Contributor

When did bathrooms get to be so over the top?

In looking at model homes now we are seeing some really over the top (esp. in comparrison toi the rest of the house) bathrooms. Huge rooms - garden tubs separate from large sit in showers with many various shower heads. Not just 2 sinks but actually 2 separate vanities. Always the toilet in a separate "room" about the size of a closet.

What really cracks me up is - all this - huge room etc - 1 scant little towel bar to hang up your towels.All this in a room that is only ever seen by the homeowners. 

Generally the guest baths are more just a regular size and style.

Honored Contributor

Re: When did bathrooms get to be so over the top?

It's said that the kitchen and bathroom sells the house.

I think people looking are impressed with the over the top styles when buying

Maybe they think it's a sign of prosperity.

If the rest of the house is over the top, then it fits right in.

I wouldn't mind having a big bathroom.

But it's not my style and it's not practical for me.

I don't use a tub and I don't need 2 sinks.

I wouldn't mind a big shower with lights inside.

And an adequate toilet, of course.

@151949

Honored Contributor

My currant home has such a large BR - I just wish some of that room was out in the living areas.It is just wasted floor space in the bathroom.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

In looking at model homes now we are seeing some really over the top (esp. in comparrison toi the rest of the house) bathrooms. Huge rooms - garden tubs separate from large sit in showers with many various shower heads. Not just 2 sinks but actually 2 separate vanities. Always the toilet in a separate "room" about the size of a closet.

What really cracks me up is - all this - huge room etc - 1 scant little towel bar to hang up your towels.All this in a room that is only ever seen by the homeowners. 

Generally the guest baths are more just a regular size and style.

I understand what you're saying...while it's nice to have a spacious shower with lots of extras and a double sinks, all of the space that it takes is really unnecessary unless that house itself is very spacious.

I haven't looked at new homes for many years but when we did I used to think that it was ridiculous for the master bedrooms to be so over the top large while the children's rooms were so small.  Kids accumulate a lot of stuff!  Give them at least decent sized closets!

As for our master bath that desparatley needs a remodel, I would love to ditch the oversized tub which we never use but I realize that wouldn't be a good selling point!

Respected Contributor

I love these modern huge bathrooms!!!! I love the European style of toilet separation.

My bathroom is pretty large,with 2 sinks, oversized tub ( totally useless) and walk in shower. I wish when we did renovation,we would throw the tub out and build oversized shower with a bench ,special lights and a rain shower!!!! 

And I love to have a bidet or a washing seat for the toilet. Sooo pricey!!!

The only thing I do not like about today's big bathrooms is when people put crystal chandeliers there. Too much. Otherwise,the bigger the better.

Honored Contributor

The bathroom is right at the top of the list in home design for me.  It's bathrooms, den area and kitchen that have to be acceptable for me.

Our last house was bought because the kitchen was wonderful and the bathroom had a big shower, nice jetted tub and separate sinks on a big counter.  And the configuration was so that two people could easily be in there at once.

Bathrooms are a huge consideration for me because that is where I start my day, where I get ready to go out, and where I end my day.  If it is usable, comfortable, pretty, convenient, and spacious enough it is a good start and end to life every today.  To me, having a bathroom you really like and enjoy being is really important. 

If you hurt, if you are tired, if you are sad or angry or just need to relax or even think about things, sometimes a good bath is worth a lot too! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know a couple of people who remodeled their master bathrooms. Both took away space from the adjacent closet to make the bathroom larger. I can't understand that. To me, the size of the closet is more important than that of the bathroom, and l would never sacrifice closet space for that.

I realize that some people like master bath 'spas,' but l'm not one of them. I just like to get in and out of there as quickly as possible, lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

If I ever win the lottery I would make my current bathroom a walk-in closet and make my spare bedroom a nice size bathroom.  My bathroom is very small.  Would love to have a clawfoot tub and a shower and a large vanity. 

Honored Contributor

I really think it has been driven by things like HGTV and it's shows and other similar shows on other networks.

First it was everyone who lives in the house has to have their own bathroom, then it was bathrooms bigger than a New York City apartment.

It's a vanity thing (no pun intended). It's part of what people think is a sign that they have 'arrived' that they have ''made it'. 

Media is convincing people that they not only 'need' this now, but that they 'deserve' it and that it is 'standard'. They have people convinced that no one will even consider buying your house if your bathroom doesn't resemble the luxury of some Hollywood movie star's. 

It's all another way to make people part with their money so they 'fit it', in my opinion. 

People have every right to have the level of luxury they can afford and want. I'm sure there have always been people who had a desire for an opulent bath. But it has become some kind of addiction now, where especially some young people you see on these shows, think it is now some kind of necessity for everyday life, and one simply can't survive without it. 

Kind of sad, when one considers what much of the rest of the world lives without, and has to deal with as a 'problem' daily.

Honored Contributor

I like to spend little time in the bathroom, so I don't care what size it is as long as it has a working toilet, sink and shower. Most bathrooms I have been in (friends/family etc.) have the toilet with everything else.

Who wants to be in there long?