Respected Contributor

Re: When a contractor changes the estimate mid job

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Trinity11:  So you are letting them continue?

@HoovermomYes. They already tore open the ceiling when the head guy called us on the phone and added to the estimate.

I did learn something, though. Always get everything in writing. Emails are not really the way to go on contractors.

You are a better person than I am.  I would have let the ceiling be open and contacted someone else.  They tore the ceiling open where they thought you would not have another recourse.  Best of luck.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

I just realized that there really was no signed contract. The estimate was sent by email and I deleted it. They have already torn out the ceiling so we are stuck. It has been a lesson, though, to get at least a Written contract.

They just left to get some sheetrock and when they came back they actually asked my husband if we have a hammer. I dread the next couple of days....they claim they need 3 days now to fix this.

You didn’t pay them a deposit?   They ripped out the ceiling without a deposit?    They don’t have a hammer?  

I wouldn’t let them back in the house.   Find someone else...

They didn't ask for a deposit. In fact @Bri36...he made a comment when they first came to the house that the money was due only when they were finished. Like that was some perk.

The hammer he claimed he forgot.

Respected Contributor

Good luck.  I wouldn’t trust their work.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

If u haven't paid them yet and u don't a contract, then u don't have to pay. u have the upper hand. Tell them that u will only pay what u orginally agreed to. Get a written signed contract.

Also do not pay cash.

Respected Contributor

You have already identified several red flags here.

All is not lost.

At this point STOP all work and demand a contract in writing signed by everyone.  They are going to continue to push over over this barrel until you are broke.  

No cash when dealing with contractors ever.

If they balk tell them you will have their cash based business reviewed by state, local and federal tax authorities.

Honored Contributor

You're not stuck.  Don't let them back in.  

You can get someone else.  In fact they have a perfect view of what needs to be done now that you have a hole in the ceiling.  Be sure to get everything in writing this time.  

Honored Contributor

You are not stuck.  I wouldn’t not let them continue. it will only get worse.  Stop the work ASAP.    There are too many red flags.  Your gut instinct is working and you are ignoring it.

Honored Contributor

If tax is due and he's not paying tax for cash, doesn't that mean he's a crook, de facto?  Maybe I'm missing something here.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A contractor 'forgetting' a freakin' hammer is pretty ridiculous... I understand your dilemma, though... The work needs to get done, the ceiling is ripped out and they're there, with no guarantees that anyone else would be any better or cheaper... It really is a sorry mess the state that 'workmanship quality' has arrived at... I'm not sure there are any truly good craftsmen out there anymore... And, I suppose the ones who are don't need to advertise. Their work spreads by word of mouth from satisfied customers. Obviously, it's your call. It's easy for people to tell you to lock them out and keep looking, but again, who's to say what you'll get the next time around. Is the revised figure markedly more? If so, then it might be worth pitching a hissy... If not, I might consider letting them finish the work and assuming it's done well THEN suggest a compromise on the price... After all, two can do the bait and switch... I'm not necessarily opposed to a price being given by email. It's just the way things work these days, but it would be best if you had saved the document, such as it was... Again, good luck...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

If tax is due and he's not paying tax for cash, doesn't that mean he's a crook, de facto?  Maybe I'm missing something here.  

My neighbor told me he was asked the same thing for every job he has had done on his house. The contractors often prefer cash. On a credit card they have to pay a fee.

I do understand what you mean, though, @Sooner