Honored Contributor

Re: When a contractor changes the estimate mid job

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Sometimes things do legitimately come to light that were unanticipated and then again, sometimes contractors knowingly pull the bait and switch. Without some level of expertise about the work being done, it's usually impossible for the customer to know whether they've been duped or whether the contractor honestly did come across issues that were unexpected. Most contracts will have a stipulation about unanticipated work or costs, so simply saying "I have a contract" is probably not useful. I guess that's why most of the time they do call it an 'estimate' and not a final bill.

Morning @stevieb. Unfortunately what they found is exactly what he claimed would be included in the original estimate. He emailed it to us and we signed nothing and just agreed to it. I guess we are just too trusting. He asked for cash too in exchange for no tax. Quite the character....

Ok; THIS would bother me.  If no other issues were discovered I would NOT agree to the additional charges.  Have you given them any money yet?  (Sorry I can't go back to the original post as I sit here typing.)

No, I have not paid them yet.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Trinity11 Well that's just really unfortunate. If the scope of work didn't change and he's simply telling you he's upping his price without any change in costs to him and for no good reason, then that's a whole different ballgame... If his current charges are significantly higher you can always pursue the matter, but he probably knows it might not be worth your time and any additional costs to you to do so. I'm confused about the cash thing... It seems that by paying him in cash he's the one who avoiding the tax and you can use that as leverage and refuse to pay his additonal fees in cash, but it's small compensation for having been duped. Then too, as customers we're in a bind, because we don't want ticked off contractors doing work on our homes... If you never signed the contract but merely told him to proceed then the whole situation becomes sort of confusing. Gosh, you just reach the point where you really dislike dealing with contractors. They give themselves a bad name and then wonder why nobody trusts them. I do wish you good luck with this project.

Thanks @stevieb. This all just reminded me of when we put in a new heater last year. The first estimate was fine until they claimed we needed work on our chimney that of course they "knew" a company that would work with them. It ended up costing us an additional three thousand on that job.

Yes, I dread it when something goes wrong in the house. My husband works a lot so he isn't home all that much to fix anything. So I have to rely on contractors. Sigh...

Honored Contributor

That written agreement only goes so far unless you are willing to sue the contractor. They know they have you over a barrel, so to speak. Our 12,000 job turned into 32,000 dollars and we were afraid they wouldn't finish the job. We had everything spelled out in the contract for 12 grand all signed and agred to by both parties and it didn't go down for that amount. Also it took them 7 months to complete the job. Hind site, I should have fired them when they started asking for more money, but it's almost impossible to find anyone with skills in our area who will even return your calls on a job, let alone show up to give you an estimate. We got these guys through Homeadvisor, although I think you are at risk with any private contractor.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would let them go now.  You haven't signed on for additional money.  The fact that he wants all cash for no tax is a red flag for me too.  Don't do it.  Yes, it will take you some time to find someone else, but do it.  I don't always believe the ratings on Angie's List.  I have used Nextdoor (neighborhood blog) where all kinds of information if derived.  Don't let them bully you into doing this work at such a great hike in price. I would not want him in my home especially since your DH is gone most of the time.  Best of luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am so sorry that this is happening to you.  I remember a previous post where you mentioned that a painter would be fixing your ceiling and painting it after your roof leak damaged it.

First off, before anyone touches anything in you home, you should have a signed contract,  An estimate is not a contract.  You should also have the contractor license number and make sure he has insurance.

Once you have a contract and the work has begun, he can’t charge you more or do any work that is not on that contract without your permission.  If things change, the contract must contain an ademdum to show the changes.

Do you have a contract?  If not, I would throw this SOB out of your home ASAP.  If there is no contract, he is not entitled to any money. Have a younger neighbor or family member there if you feel intimidated by him.

Any contractor who asks for cash is not legit.  Sometimes this is done to avoid paying taxes and to avoid getting insurance. Always pay with credit card or check.  Always.

This guy doesn’t sound honest and it appears your radar has honed in on this.

Call up one of the other contractors who gave you an estimate and see if they are willing to finish the work.....get a contract.

if you already signed a contract with the painter who is  already working on your home, he can’t charge you more unless you agree to it and he must have it in writing.  

Call your local office of consumer affairs and report this guy, stop him before he tries to scam someone else.  They would be interested to know about his cash deals too.

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11, well seems like it is water under the bridge now because you have already agreed to pay more.  Sounds like the classic bait and switch to me. I had this happen to me before, always read your contact, ask questions and make sure the contract price is the final price. Does your contract have a stipulation clause in it that would change the price, if not then you paid more than you should. I would also contact Angie's list.  Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

I just realized that there really was no signed contract. The estimate was sent by email and I deleted it. They have already torn out the ceiling so we are stuck. It has been a lesson, though, to get at least a Written contract.

They just left to get some sheetrock and when they came back they actually asked my husband if we have a hammer. I dread the next couple of days....they claim they need 3 days now to fix this.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11:  So you are letting them continue?

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I just realized that there really was no signed contract. The estimate was sent by email and I deleted it. They have already torn out the ceiling so we are stuck. It has been a lesson, though, to get at least a Written contract.

They just left to get some sheetrock and when they came back they actually asked my husband if we have a hammer. I dread the next couple of days....they claim they need 3 days now to fix this.

You didn’t pay them a deposit?   They ripped out the ceiling without a deposit?    They don’t have a hammer?  

I wouldn’t let them back in the house.   Find someone else...

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Trinity11:  So you are letting them continue?

@HoovermomYes. They already tore open the ceiling when the head guy called us on the phone and added to the estimate.

I did learn something, though. Always get everything in writing. Emails are not really the way to go on contractors.