Valued Contributor

Re: When Was Your Last Main Bathroom Redo?

I don't know if peel & stick products would be good in a bathroom given the moisture & humidity in those type rooms. Wouldn't they eventually become unglued over time?

I've yet to tackle a bathroom remodel, but my next project after I do a smaller project this year is to gut the 1950s master bathroom to the studs & start from scratch! And add an exhaust fan to outside (its against an outer wall so should be easy to do that). I can demo old tiles myself & the flooring & have someone that will remove the tub, toilet, cabinet, lighting fixture, vanity & plaster walls (not worth saving anything). I might be able to sell the tiles as there's an interest in vintage tiles selling online to recoup some money for the project. I want a glass walled tile shower, but nothing else is decided yet beyond that.
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I'm getting more and more interested in changing my bathroom from the original.  I don't want the "yuck" of tearing out the tub, I guess I'm stuck with some things, but I want to change the walls, the shower curtain, and the original vanity.

(Note to me at 28:  Use almond fixtures since you can't stand stark white!!!).

Unfortunately, with my maintenance being more than DH's I'm in the hall bath, but, hey!  I am the "Queen" there lol!!!

I want the stick on wood tiles and a new sink vanity.  I am the color and style one, not DH!

@ECBG My thinking if you are going to tear up anything, do all you want rather than do more later.  I was very very glad we did.  One and done for that bathroom was wonderful.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Horrors!!!!!  You put in all that work only to leave?????

I would have screamed all the way!  My fingernails would have been clawing at the carpet!!!

(Everything I am thinking of doing will go through "builder son".)  I detest a change in basic routine!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner 

Horrors!!!!!  You put in all that work only to leave?????

I would have screamed all the way!  My fingernails would have been clawing at the carpet!!!

(Everything I am thinking of doing will go through "builder son".)  I detest a change in basic routine!

@ECBG LOL!!!  No, we intended to move when we retired, and we needed to make a few repairs from storm damage so I decided we'd get it all done to sell better.  

Ok because I got a far better house than we had or that I even thought we'd get. .  . and I'm not sentimental about houses so all was good!  

Honored Contributor

Let's see---a huge tree fell on the upstairs of my house 12/18 and destroyed the main bath as well as all 4 bedrooms and the whole roof--so redo was the summer of 2019---did the whole bathroom which was  the sink, toilet and a bath/shower combo--new floors, walls, lights,  vanity --everything--actually insurance paid for it. Was pretty nice too. 

Honored Contributor

I'm having my master bath (and bedroom) gutted and renovated this summer.  I started by looking for tiles last week.

Valued Contributor

The end of March will be 27 years (time flew by) that I have been in my condo - been thinking of redoing bath ever since I have been in this place but something else always came up that needed doing first. Hoping this year will be the year that bath finally gets a total re-do - will be putting in bigger vanity (currently 24", want a 30-36") and will take out fiberglass tub/shower and just put in a shower (there is a tub in hall bath and it's just 3' down the hall), will move toilet so I can have shower turned 90 degrees.

My bath is 5' wide by 7' long so vanity and shower will be on 7' side and end of shower will be on 5' wall (like picture below, except it wont''t be quite as tight as between shower & toilet)

small bathroom.png

Respected Contributor

When we moved into our current house in 2013, I hated the main bath but it so large that it would have cost a fortune to completely redo.  So I kept the beige and rust colored travertine tile and replaced the gold fixtures and lighting with bronze.  I would now like to replace or refinish the cherry vanity and counter tops.  

Honored Contributor

Did a few upgrades in 2018. I'd like to replace the upstairs bathtub with a walk-in shower.

Valued Contributor

Neighbor is doing bathroom redo this week under difficult heath pressure. Don't wait til you're sick to prepare to "age in place". Enjoy it now.