Honored Contributor

When Was Your Last Main Bathroom Redo?

I'm getting more and more interested in changing my bathroom from the original.  I don't want the "yuck" of tearing out the tub, I guess I'm stuck with some things, but I want to change the walls, the shower curtain, and the original vanity.

(Note to me at 28:  Use almond fixtures since you can't stand stark white!!!).

Unfortunately, with my maintenance being more than DH's I'm in the hall bath, but, hey!  I am the "Queen" there lol!!!

I want the stick on wood tiles and a new sink vanity.  I am the color and style one, not DH!

Honored Contributor

Re: When Was Your Last Main Bathroom Redo?

@ECBG    About 6ish years ago we did some work in my bathroom, husband uses the smaller bathroom in our master.

We did not tear out the tub/shower surround, we had it restored,  There were a ton of colors to pick from and it looked brand new.  The company did a great job.

I also had the walls sanded and a skim coat of plaster as they were flat for paper but needed some work...then I painted the walls.

We also have my wood vanity removed, it was in good shape, so it was painted professionally and raised up to a better height.  Added a new sink top and all new fixtures.

We also put down a new floor and a new toilet.

It was like a entire new space and not a lot of money at the time...well worth in inconvenience of having the room torn up for a few weeks.

I did use the stick on product you mentioned above the sink and below the vanity mirror...I would not do that again...the stickum is not that great.  When I have time, I am taking it off, which will damage the walls but I can fix that with a product from the hardware store, then sand and repaint.  I like the idea but just did not work for me.

Respected Contributor

2017.  Gutted master bathroom.  Took out the very large step up garden soak tub and have a double glass slipper free standing tub.  Gutted the other two bathrooms upstairs and took out those tubs too and put new ones in.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We built our home in 1988.  Around 12 years ago, we removed the wallpaper, painted the vanity ( couldn't find a new one to fit in the space correctly) got a new quartz vanity top, new sink and all new hardware, new light, new paint,  exhaust fan and floors.

I changed the window treatment and shower curtain a few times since then. 

We kept the tub and toilet, just replaced the knobs and faucets.  So I would say 2009.

I am now in the process of updating the en-suite bathroom and all four bedrooms with new paint,  New lighting fixtures. New Luxury vinyl floors in the bath, Hardwood floors in the hall and bedrooms and new carpet on my stairs.

My whole second floor is upside down right now.  The flooring company is coming tomorrow to measure.  They are going to have to wade through a big mess.  It looks like a hoarder lives here except for my bedroom which now only contains a bed in the middle of the room.

After that, we are going to update the powder room on the main floor and get a new backsplash in the kitchen.  Then I am gonna sit down and rest.

This will be our last major update. We're getting ready to age in place.  I want everything easy for me to maintain.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds lovely.

I am looking at "Stickwood" for my papered walls.  I'd like to get through this ordeal with the less intrusion.

I guess I could wait for DH to retire.  He's "thinking".  Others are pitching a fit at the brotherhood and socializing being lost.  We shall see.

I think I can speak to DS, the designer/builder and he will do this himself in a weekend which would be a wonderful Christmas gift for next year.  

I don't want to take away from my GS's time though.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG ...in the tub/shower surround we cound not replace the fixturesm only the hand held shower fixture....we would have had to tear out the wall to the front of the shower to access the pipes.  So we had to keep the 70's fixture, but they were in OK shape so it was no big deal.

We had purchased new faucet and handle but found out the size had changed over the years.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Previous house built in the 70's. I took the main hall bath down to the studs in 2007. It was original to the house. Added a second sink in addition to all new everything. What motivated the reno was a leak in the tub drain.

Present home: built in 1999. Moved here in 2018. Did a cosmetic refresh in the master bath of paint, paper on a feature wall, painted the double vanity gray, changed the cabinet hardware, replaced the broken hand held shower and changed one ceiling light fixture. Everything else is white, so it's all good. Done fall, 2018, right after moving in.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mom2Dogss   That happened to us too. Fortunately, we have a huge walk in closet back with the tub. My DH cut a nice clean opening in the drywall in the closet to get to the plumbing.  Once he replaced the facets and shower fixtures, he put the piece of drywall he removed back into place and taped it in place. 

Then he put the shelves back in the closet.  When you look into my closet, you can't even see that where that cut out is.  If we need to replace any plumbing fixtures again, it will be easy to get to.

All of my free standing showers and tubs have a closet where you can access the plumbing.   Someone designed our house to make this easy.  

Honored Contributor

Complete update in 2007 when we got rid of the harvest gold fiberglass tub/shower surround.   

Contractor was here Friday as we are updating again this spring by taking out the bathtub and going with an oversized tiled shower.   

Honored Contributor

It was 2015.  We gutted the master bath except left the double vanity, which had gotten a new marble top 2 years before.

We tore out the shower, raised the ceiling and lowered the sill and put in porcelain marble look tile inside and new fixtures; put in new tile on the floor, replaced the old jacuzzi tub a new jetted tub with cool lights under water, stripped off paper, put marble around the tub to match the vanity top and repainted.  

Then we moved in 2019.