Respected Contributor

When Buying a New Major Appliance...

do you always buy an extended warranty?  

Just wondering if worth the extra cost.  I know appliances aren't lasting long anymore.

Thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: When Buying a New Major Appliance...

No, never.   You have the mfg's warranty for a year. 

Valued Contributor

My husband never buys the extended warranty.  You get a warranty with a new appliance and that means they would overlap and probably run out a year or two later.  Your appliance will probably last till both run out and then break.  If you save that money you will probably be ahead.  That is only our opinion and I am sure others buy it.

Respected Contributor

There was a time I would have answered, "No, it's a sales gimmick."   Now, though, I wouldn't buy an appliance without it.  Case in point:  A $3,500 refrigerator died inside 3 years and a $1,500 dishwasher needed a major repair (the computer board/panel or some-such) in about the same time frame.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

We don't. Consumer Reports says that for most purchases, they aren't worth it. They quoted a Stanford Un. study from a few years ago. 

We buy the best quality appliances we can afford, then try to take good care of them. So far, we haven't regretted going without extended warranties.  

Valued Contributor

I did for my fridge because from what I read the ice makers go out in about 3 years.

I also bought one for the range but that's it.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Honored Contributor

Nope! Never have paid for extended warranties on appliances and never have needed them.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I've never bought an extended warranty in the 35 years I've been a homeowner.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunshine Kate  I never bought one until I got our upright freezer, and I am so glad that I had purchased one when I got it.  Just a few months after the manufacturers warranty expired, our freezer died and it completely had to have all of the internal parts replaced.  I would have been out a lot of money if I did not have the extended warranty, which is less than $100 for three years.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

I have bought my appliances through Lowe's and I do pay for their 5 year extra warranty.  In the past it was $149 for my $3500 refrigerator. I just called for a repair since the light switch broke. Appliances now are so expensive (and are not built to last) so on the pricier appliances I like to get the extra warranty.  For less expensive appliances like our microwave I take a chance and skip it.