Honored Contributor

Re: Whatever Happened To Plain Old Bedspreads?

@jubilant  and all... Check out Target... They offer a lot of bedspreads online and while many come with shams as a 'set' there's no saying you have to use the shams... This one comes in several colors including white, cream, blue and seafoam...

3pc Vancouver Bedspread Set - image 1 of 10

3pc Vancouver Bedspread Set - image 1 of 10

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

My take is that just because the "designers" came up with the concept of loading a bed up with shams of all sizes, doesn't mean that I have to buy into that style! I like a comforter because they're warm and easy to make the bed in the morning, but I don't use all of those extra pillows/shams. I have a neutral bedskirt and buy a comforter just for that one piece.

Bedspreads no longer appeal to me, so I stick with a comforter - just the comforter and a bedskirt!

Honored Contributor

@stevieb I have a bed that I have to get up into.  I'm 5'2.  It has wide wooden rails which I like the look of.  Originally, my dust ruffle covered them.  What I wanted to do was have the ruffle go down behind the rails, but I would've had to sew velcro to the rails and the ruffle after removing it from the part that lays across the box springs. So, I just kinda stuffed it behind the rails which was actually a little neater looking but still not what I wanted.  I'm happy now with the fitted sheet since it's smooth.  

Honored Contributor

@DottieBlue wrote:

@Icegoddess   Isn't it annoying when the "industry" decides what colors are "in" and if you don't happen to want those colors, you are pretty much out of luck trying to find what you are looking for? 

I really like grey and blue, but I had that color scheme 25 years ago and grew tired of it.  But that is the majority of what you see now.  I currently have green and taupe (not greige) and there isn't as much out there in retail in these colors.

@DottieBlue Yes!  I like my current color scheme which also works with all my sheets.  My current comfortor is a very busy mixture of greens, burgundy, and tans.  But, it's very old, faded, and a little thread bare in places.  I can't go with a light color or I'd be continually having to wash it since my cat gets on it all the time. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 wrote:

My take is that just because the "designers" came up with the concept of loading a bed up with shams of all sizes, doesn't mean that I have to buy into that style! I like a comforter because they're warm and easy to make the bed in the morning, but I don't use all of those extra pillows/shams. I have a neutral bedskirt and buy a comforter just for that one piece.

Bedspreads no longer appeal to me, so I stick with a comforter - just the comforter and a bedskirt!

@jannabelle1  That's what we have. We each have a comforter as we are both blanket hogs. I gave up on using just one as he usually won the hogging competition. I have four pillows and he has two. And a bed skirt! No shams.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

Bedspreads are very Od School and have been for a long time.

Perhaps that means the Millenial designers are ready to bring them back.

I hope the OP finds what she is looking for. That is not at all my style.

I agree!  Bedspreads are not for me.  They remind me of my how my mom used to decorate bedrooms...very dated looking and I never liked them even when they were popular.

Trusted Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

This is a classic cotton ribcord bedspread at Vermont Country Store.

I had those in red from Sears many years ago for my boys. Still have one in the garage that is used as a drop cloth now. 

Respected Contributor

Not sure if anyone mentioned Fingerhut, many choices available.

Respected Contributor

@jubilant 

I've felt the same as you for many years now. I haven't had shams/dust ruffles since my 20s.  I could care less for the fancy decorative style & much prefer a more simple decor.  LL Bean has both comforters & bedspreads "only".  I think you can purchase them also at Kohl's.  Good luck finding what you're looking for.

Super Contributor

Bed Bath and Beyond has a few nice bedspreads  on their website.