Honored Contributor

Re: Whatever Happened To Plain Old Bedspreads?

Thanks a lot for all the replies. You have given me many options.

I have a new mattress (Queen size) that is 12" deep if not a little more.  It sets on a frame ABOUT 4"-6" deep.  I also love quilts but am finding the  queen size too short and the Kings too long.  I had an accident last winter where I got my foot caught in the longer  quilt and went flying into a wall. My face and side arm had big bruises, my glasses were broken and the screws on the sides even made indentations on my temples. I then fell backwards.  Needless to say, I don't want that to happen again! I guess you could say I was "knocked silly". I am thinking if I can tuck it in as much as I want at the pillows, I won't have anything hanging on the floor.  Again, I appreciate all the ideas.

Honored Contributor

Quilts and comforters have more or less had the bedding market cornered for quite some time. Still, bedspreads are pretty widely availale, even if finding one you like takes some doing. I never bought into the whole shams thing, and while I do use a dust ruffle, I've grown tired of them and of that look. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@jubilant   I miss the old cotton chenille bedspreads that my grandmothers used to have.  Actually, just thinking about it now, I miss my grandmothers.  Smiley Sad

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

The beds in this house have never had shams and dust ruffles; I just don't like them.   

Both girls have quilts covering their beds.   I am using a solid color king size quilted bedspread that is probably at least 15 years old.   It is folded down every night, and is dry cleaned regularly.   When I get bored with the bedspread, I use a king size comforter, and just lay the pillows on top.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm with you on the bedspread dilemma.  Over the years, it’s became increasing difficult to find one.   They’re so simple and easy.   

I couldn’t find one I liked so I recently ordered a quilt/coverlet, 100% cotton.  It came with shams.  It’s the first time I’ve used shams so I’m getting used to extra pillows on the bed.  I live alone and have a queen size bed.  I stack them up on the other side of the bed when I want to go to sleep.  Not sure where I’d put everything if there were two of us in the bed.    

Trusted Contributor

The Vermont Country Store offers chenille bedspreads.  I love the looks of them, but they shed too much and I don't want to have to vacuum that often! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

Did you try Amazon?

They have lots of bedspreads listed, and although most are shown with the sham treatment, it looks like there's enough material with just the spreads shown to cover the pillows.

I agree with you. MUCH easier to make the bed quick, and the shams are a pain to put on take off, and wash evenly so the one side of the bed you don't use that don't fade as fast still match.

I guess spreads were too simple and too efficient. Now it's shams, bedskirts, nine little pillows and some kind of rag across the end of the bed!

CHECK THE MEASUREMENTS!!!!!  I just bought a "bedspread" on Amazon and it is nowhere near the size of what OP is referring to.  I am not unhappy because I actually did look at the measurements before buying and am using mine as a quilt.  But every "bedspread" I looked at on Amazon was smaller measurement-wise than the comforters.  

On a standard bed, a bedspread should, at the very least, cover the bed rails if not go all the way to the floor.  My bed is high off the ground, but it should still go down to the wooden rail where the box springs sit.  It doesn't.  Also, if it's tucked in at the bottom, it won't even go all the way to where the sheet ends at the top of the bed, much less over the pillows.  

I do agree that you don't have to use the shams that come with the bedding and I really don't think they add that much to the cost.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Quilts and comforters have more or less had the bedding market cornered for quite some time. Still, bedspreads are pretty widely availale, even if finding one you like takes some doing. I never bought into the whole shams thing, and while I do use a dust ruffle, I've grown tired of them and of that look. 

@stevieb I tossed my dust ruffle.  However, the problem I had was that the comforter I currently have doesn't cover the box springs.  So, I ended up taking an older fitted sheet and putting over the box springs.  I have mostly been something in the light green for sheets, so while it might not be an exact match to, say, my Seaglass sheets, it's still close.  I have a King size bed, so if I bought and changed out that sheet every time I changed out sheets, I would have to have my husband help me do it.  I'm on the hunt for a new bed covering, but have been having trouble finding something the colors I want.  I guess they aren't "in" right now. 

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess   Isn't it annoying when the "industry" decides what colors are "in" and if you don't happen to want those colors, you are pretty much out of luck trying to find what you are looking for? 

I really like grey and blue, but I had that color scheme 25 years ago and grew tired of it.  But that is the majority of what you see now.  I currently have green and taupe (not greige) and there isn't as much out there in retail in these colors.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb I tossed my dust ruffle.  However, the problem I had was that the comforter I currently have doesn't cover the box springs.  So, I ended up taking an older fitted sheet and putting over the box springs.  I have mostly been something in the light green for sheets, so while it might not be an exact match to, say, my Seaglass sheets, it's still close.  I have a King size bed, so if I bought and changed out that sheet every time I changed out sheets, I would have to have my husband help me do it.  I'm on the hunt for a new bed covering, but have been having trouble finding something the colors I want.  I guess they aren't "in" right now. 

@Icegoddess  I finally ended up with a box pleat 'ruffle' that isn't a ruffle at all and it's one of those that wraps around the bed, so there's no having to lift the mattress. It needs frequent adjustments, though, so is still a bit of a pain. I have a few bedspreads and they really do need to make a comeback because when all is said and done they're pretty easy and do hide the box spring and frame. Would love to find a pretty but light weight one for summer.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...