Honored Contributor

Whatever Happened To Plain Old Bedspreads?

[ Edited ]

Anonymous wrote:

I am really not feeling the love for a bed made up with shams anymore. I know they add texture and color at the top of the bed but I am wanting to simplify-- and having pillows on the bed that I don't sleep on seems foolish (especially because I sleep with two just for myself).

I came across the above paragraph while looking this subject up.  It drew me in because I am feeling exactly the same way. I think the cost of shams is utterly ridiculous. Not only that, but I am tired of messing with all the pillows and dust ruffles.

I am looking for a quality, well priced bedspread where you just tuck the pillows in.  I put the new set I just bought in the guest room. While it's pretty, no one hardly ever sees my bedrooms so I ask myself, why not put that money into rooms people can see???

What say you?   

I edited this to add:  Try finding any "just bedspread" online that is shown without shams or decorative pillows....even the Queen Anne type?  What a racket?  I'm getting tired of buying into it....are you?

Respected Contributor

Re: Whatever Happened To Plain Old Bedspreads?

I agree!  I was at a store the features bedding items (you know the one) and i asked an associate, where are the bedspreads?  She directed to me the comforter sets and such and I shared with her that wasn't what I was looking for.  She said..."I dont know what your talking about."  She tried her best and told me to go onine.  I sill wish I could find one!  Keep me posted in your search!

Esteemed Contributor

Bedspreads are very Od School and have been for a long time.

Perhaps that means the Millenial designers are ready to bring them back.

I hope the OP finds what she is looking for. That is not at all my style.

Esteemed Contributor

Try The Company Store. 

Putnam Cotton Matelassé Bedspread

The pictures show all the extras you can buy if you want but the also just sell the bedspread.

Respected Contributor

Did you try Amazon?

They have lots of bedspreads listed, and although most are shown with the sham treatment, it looks like there's enough material with just the spreads shown to cover the pillows.

I agree with you. MUCH easier to make the bed quick, and the shams are a pain to put on take off, and wash evenly so the one side of the bed you don't use that don't fade as fast still match.

I guess spreads were too simple and too efficient. Now it's shams, bedskirts, nine little pillows and some kind of rag across the end of the bed!

Trusted Contributor

I just bought a new King bedspread by Modern Heirloom a while back online.....Olivia....and it is wonderful!! It has the fold back top to cover the pillow if you want. Shams are optional, so you only pay for the bedspread itself. It is available in many places. I like the brand so much I bought a second style for a guest room.  Side drape length is perfect on my King. Check the measurements. Washes and dries well too! Just put Modern Heirloom in your search box online......BBB, Kohls, Home Depot, etc.....

Esteemed Contributor

Vermont Country Store usually has one or two.

Trusted Contributor

@jubilant Google "bedspread" and you will find many. Most stores sell comforters or quilts but you will find one. Some stores even sell the chenille bedspreads we used to have. I understand exactly I finally got rid of my dust ruffle and bought a quilt that fits my bed all the way to floor. I got it at Kohls. Just be sure to check the size of the bedspread and make sure it is the right size for your bed. A queen for example may be different sizes depending on the one you want. A lot of quilts and comforters are Fuu/Queen and are    90 X 90. 

Respected Contributor

This is a classic cotton ribcord bedspread at Vermont Country Store.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago,there was a company in maine that made bedspreads, don't know if still in business ,Bates was the name.Try cuddledown of maine.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.