Trusted Contributor

@birdmama ~  You asked what type of material the fence is.  It is wood, pine to be exact.  The thing isn't even two months old.  I'm still shocked, shocked even more that no effort has been made to reach out and resolve this.

@Mominohio ~ Thanks for the kind words.  I always enjoy reading your posts and if memory serves me correct, you live in the country, don't you?  Ahhh, someday ~ just not now.  Not like this, I agree with you 100%!

Thank you all for making me feel like I am right to be upset by this.  This has been a nightmare that has progressively become worse.  I remember when they first moved in.  I brought them some cookies and gave them our phone number in case they needed anything.  I'll never forget ~ she mentioned how nice we were and how their old neighbors threw a party when they found out they were moving!  Yes, they really threw a party.  Who tells their new neighbor something like that?! 

The cop that came out supposedly told them they need to clean it.  Well, you see that fell on deaf ears.  Tomorrow I will call our rep from the fence company (really nice guy that lives here in town) and see if he can swing by.  I'll get a quote to either replace the boards with writing or (if it can) be professionally cleaned.  That bill will be sent to them via certified mail along with a letter from our attorney.  I assume the attorney will give them so long to reply/make payment then we will go to small claims court.  I'm guessing that is how it goes?

Tonight I plan on relaxing, walking on the treadmill and clearing my mind.  After all, if I stress they win, right?

Thanks again, everyone! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

All very good advice.  I called the police, they came out and gave me a complaint form with a case number on it.  I was basically told that since the kids are under the age of 12 there isn't anything that can be done about it.  Seriously?  I don't expect them to throw a kid in jail, but the parents should be responsible for this, right?

So....I got annoyed and called the police department back.  I basically raised you-know-where and asked why no one is enforcing any of the codes/laws in this town.  I was transferred to the police lieutenant and this is where I think I might be getting somewhere.

After the police officer talked to her she let her dogs out and let them bark, and bark, and bark.  Then her little angel went right outside our window and started screaming.  Then they went in their car and started honking the horn.  The lieutenant heard all of this and promised to get us some relief.  I am skeptical buy maybe, just maybe, we are getting somewhere.

Half of me wants to stand my ground and the other half wants to leave.  Even as I type this, their dogs are barking outside our window.  We are purchasing a recorder (per the police lieutenant's advice) and will record their barking dogs.  Each time they are in violation they will be fined.  We are also installing a security camera along that side of the house.  And yes, we are getting an attorney.

What bothers me the most is this woman hasn't bothered to call me back or reach out in any manner regarding this.  I guess she thinks I'm a jerk for getting upset and it's okay to deface another person's property.  I felt we were getting along and this is just pure disrespect.  We'll win in the end.  It will cost some cash and not be pleasant but it'll be worth it. 

ETA:  I was advised to call 911 by our non-emergency operator at the police department.  I agree it's a bit dramatic but that's what they told me to do.    

@Julie928, I'm so proud of you for standing up for yourself and calling the police back! Way to Go!!!

Was the leutenant there, with his car parked in your driveway while she was doing all this and her little doll was under your windown screeching? Was just making sure I understood that correctly. If thats so, she is worse than I thought. I'd get me some bear spray or mace. No telling what the nuts might do. Bless your heart.

Stand your ground, who knows, when they figure out they can't push you around anymore, maybe they will move.

Esteemed Contributor

i, too, have a neighbor issue involving a privacy fence on my property....neighbor has a ton of junk, some heavy, leaning on our fence.  i have asked him to move it before it damages our fence...but he refuses to do so....not the first time we've had to address this issue....don't know what legal issue i have.....

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like they messed up the side of the fence they have to look at.  When they want to sell................it's their job to clean it up.  You enjoy your clean side.

Honored Contributor

I don't think your attorney can send them a bill.  I think the attorney can ask them to fix it to your satisfaction first and then if they don't, you can bill them for it.

I would check with an attorney first before fixing it.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Re: What would you do?

[ Edited ]

Sorry your having neighbor problems, I know how stressful it is. I hope it's kids paint that will wash off easily but whatever it is I'd take lots of pictures in case you need them. I'd insist the fence be cleaned right away when you & your husband discuss the situation with your neighbor...if they don't want to cooperate then tell them you are filing a police report & plan to sue in small claims court for property damage. If my kids did that they would be apologizing to you, cleaning it, grounded for a month & I'd be embarrassed.

Frequent Contributor

I agree call the police!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: What would you do?

[ Edited ]

@fthunt ~ Lol, I agree, but if you saw what a train wreck their property is I don't think it even bothers them.  They happen to have squirrels living in the area where gutters should be on their garage.  Now it's just full of holes the squirrels go in and mold.  Lots and lots of black mold.

@Happycat01 ~ The police lieutenant was on the phone with me and heard everything.  After dinner my husband is going to Best Buy to pick up a recorder and hopefully a camera.  I'm done with this!

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928, girl, bless your heart! These people sound just absolutely horrid. I'm glad the police liuetenant was on the phone and got to hear all that. And I hope to God something gets done with this bunch once and for all, so you can quit having to deal with their insane trash.  I really just hope they get just what they deserve.

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928 - Good for you! Since you have already been visited by the Police (and I guess your neighbors know this), I would not engage her in any conversations at all. 

She might ask you why you contacted them and what is going on - just ignore her and go about your day. Take pictures of your fence for sure so if they try and clean it or add to the marks you will have proof - make sure you have a date on all the pictures.

Getting an Attorney is a good idea. Let him advise you on what to do or not do in this situation.

Good Luck