Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do with this kitchen nook?

I too would add a round table, with pretty placemats or a table runner, and blinds or shades that you can close at night-beautiful windows! I would add a pretty ceiling fan or a beautiful chandelier-but nothing too fancy-keep it simple! What a beautiful spot to be able to decorate!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a pretty space and view! 

I would get rid of all the stuff that is in there now, get the table/chairs that ECBG posted, put down wood laminate flooring, get a different chandelier and get window coverings that could be opened and closed for privacy. 

And for heaven's sake get rid of that trash can that is in full view.  I keep mine under the sink, always have. 

Respected Contributor

I'd start with getting rid of the grey paint.  I'm soooooo sick of grey.  Reminds me of builders basic model homes.

What a great room to decorate.  Have fun.

Valued Contributor

@faeriemoon  I recently moved into this home. It was built in 1998. It doesn't really have a "style" per se. I knew when I bought it I would be gutting the kitchen and adding details to other rooms as well. Although there's many things I love about it, especially this kitchen nook.  Here are a couple of more pictures of the space.

6B3956AB-63BA-4A96-A816-A8A174329FB1.jpeg2E1B2294-5973-4AF2-A786-11059D2FF036.jpeg

Valued Contributor

@Bridgegal I don't care for Gray either. This is going to be a complete redo. Including paint detail. 

Respected Contributor

@HonestLife 

Oh my, what fun.   Good luck.  I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HonestLife 

I would not cover those beautiful windows.  Rather, I would add horizontal swags in soft pastel colors as decor above each of the windows.

2' Hydrangea Fern Swag

This is what I mean by a swag.  I am not suggesting curtain or topper made of fabric.  I would not hide the windows at all.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Would you like to turn it into an eating area?

Or perhaps a sitting area/reading nook?

I wouldn't buy a chunky table, but something more along lean, clean lines. 

I'd probably only do halfway shutters, since I don't see any homes behind you, that way you can always enjoy the greenery from the tree canopies and it would keep the area light and bright.

If there were any way to get rid of the desk and maybe add a little wet bar or perhaps a bit of a butler's pantry?  The desk just seems wrong where it's placed.

Heck, if you needed an office, what a pretty setting with a view and you could place a desk and a comfortable chair or two.

It's a great area to contemplate what to do!  Have fun.

Valued Contributor

@Lucky Charm  Yes, I don't like the desk there at all. Right now, the whole kitchen is virtually empty. Eventually the trees will turn color in autumn and lose there leaves. Just beyond them are tall evergreens 🌲.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Patriot3  the garbage can will be hidden. In my initial post, I stated to disregard all of the items on the floor. I forgot to mention the can as well. I'm using it as I unpack and there's no cabinet real estate at this time.. That will be in my plans when I get new cabinetry. I should post pics looking from the kitchen nook into the kitchen itself. I will do that.