Esteemed Contributor

Re: What would you do- house sale

Wow those were some horrible demands. Did your friends give in and sell them the house at the discounted price. Funny we say hdtv does this to buyers and I agree. But I don’t think I have ever seen buyers on hdtv shows ask for those kind of things. What are people thinking. We were fortunate our buyer only asked for 4 plugs to be upgraded and it only cost us $200. She did want a home warranty. She made to low of a offer so we met her in the middle and she agreed. 

Respected Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

Wow those were some horrible demands. Did your friends give in and sell them the house at the discounted price. Funny we say hdtv does this to buyers and I agree. But I don’t think I have ever seen buyers on hdtv shows ask for those kind of things. What are people thinking. We were fortunate our buyer only asked for 4 plugs to be upgraded and it only cost us $200. She did want a home warranty. She made to low of a offer so we met her in the middle and she agreed. 

No they did not - it got to the point they just started to tell them "If your want a house with _____ go buy one, this is not 'that house'."

If they would have given in to all their requests and demands they would have sold the house for less than 40% of its value.  They had other offers at 100% value so, there were options to walk away.

Esteemed Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

OP here- (sorry I got pulled away)

To clarify based on some the posts

The house has been sold, our friends have just moved into their new house.

I must say, many here are nice people.

Based on the saga our friends went through our (4 other couples) vote was

"offer to sell it to them!" 

The main reason was for EVERYTHING that the buyers disliked about the house they wanted thousand of dollars off the sale price. Example the new roof on the house is black she prefered brown- they asked for $6000.  He wanted a sprinkler system- they asked for $8000

We think they watched too much HGTV and were expected to get everything they wanted or 50% off the sale price.

When our friends found the manuals while unpacking they pitched them- they did not want to talk to the buyers ever again.   

...and that is what nogotiations are. The sellers want to make as much money as they can and the buyers want to pay as little as they can.  The sellers can always say No to the demands. I don't see the need to be petty.

I agree.  These were negotiations.  Each side wants the best deal, so they ask for what they want.  Sometimes the answer is yes, other times it's no, but it's no crime to ask..  Sure, some people are more unpleasant and demanding than others, but that's the way it goes. I didn't read anything horrifying that had been done.  And the sellers weren't forced into doing anything they didn't agree to.  All buyers want to spend as little as possible, which is totally understandable.  Why should they not try for that?

I absolutely would have left appliance manuals and anything related to the house in the house, on a counter or in an obvious place.  If I found them later, I would probably have mailed them. It's the right thing to do, and takes little effort.  I don't see a reason to withhold them or to be so vengeful.  It's bad karma, for one thing, and it also seems pretty immature. 

(There was no need to talk to the buyers ever again.  The manuals easily could have been mailed. Certainly the sellers know the address!)

Esteemed Contributor

Imagine the gossip going around in that neighborhood . . . about the former neighbors and the new neighbors. Oh, dear. What tangled webs we weave. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If they bought the house, they can look up on line what they need to know. I would not communicate with them.  If you leave them on the countertops and move out, you're done.