Respected Contributor

Re: What would you do- house sale

This is not an example of pettiness that makes the news, but it is something I have strong feelings about.

It seems our pop culture specializes in getting the last word, getting even, throwing “shade,” trash talking, scarastic witticisms, and put downs. Sitcoms, sports, and social media thrive on these behaviors; i.e., Twitter spats. Suddenly people want to be the one who puts everyone in their place. Sometimes one needs to be the bigger person and simply do the right thing. 

Honored Contributor

• Sure, I'd leave them all on the kitchen counter.
Respected Contributor

No, I would NOT give them any information.

Respected Contributor

OP here- (sorry I got pulled away)

To clarify based on some the posts

The house has been sold, our friends have just moved into their new house.

I must say, many here are nice people.

Based on the saga our friends went through our (4 other couples) vote was

"offer to sell it to them!" 

The main reason was for EVERYTHING that the buyers disliked about the house they wanted thousand of dollars off the sale price. Example the new roof on the house is black she prefered brown- they asked for $6000.  He wanted a sprinkler system- they asked for $8000

We think they watched too much HGTV and were expected to get everything they wanted or 50% off the sale price.

When our friends found the manuals while unpacking they pitched them- they did not want to talk to the buyers ever again.   

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

OP here- (sorry I got pulled away)

To clarify based on some the posts

The house has been sold, our friends have just moved into their new house.

I must say, many here are nice people.

Based on the saga our friends went through our (4 other couples) vote was

"offer to sell it to them!" 

The main reason was for EVERYTHING that the buyers disliked about the house they wanted thousand of dollars off the sale price. Example the new roof on the house is black she prefered brown- they asked for $6000.  He wanted a sprinkler system- they asked for $8000

We think they watched too much HGTV and were expected to get everything they wanted or 50% off the sale price.

When our friends found the manuals while unpacking they pitched them- they did not want to talk to the buyers ever again.   

...and that is what nogotiations are. The sellers want to make as much money as they can and the buyers want to pay as little as they can.  The sellers can always say No to the demands. I don't see the need to be petty.

Honored Contributor

My take on this is that the buyer for whatever reason needs to feel they are in control, and have everyone scurrying around to meet their demands.  If the seller does not want to deal with them, back out, if they can put up with their antics then go ahead with the deal.  All manuals should be left in the house after closing.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Also, remember there are two sides to every story. It’s a lot of money involved, emotions are high, and both sides may have been less than polite. It’s the realtors’ job to keep things on track. 

Honored Contributor

As I said earlier, I would have left the information.  However, now that it has become clear that the sellers didn't even find the manuals until after they unpacked in their new home, I understand their not wanting to re-connect with the buyers considering all the hard feelings.

If it's just a bunch of manuals, the info is online.  It's probably better to steer clear of each other.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The fact that your friends pitched the manuals makes them look childish.  I am surprised that they would even own up to the fact.  Why not take the high road, give a testimony of what a mature and kind person would do, leave the paperwork and move on?

It may make a difference to the buyers in the future....a lesson if you will, in kindness. Contempt and ill will just breeds the same.  A shame - could have been an opportunity to pass on goodness.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I saved every manual i had for my condo and gave all of them to the new owners.   Yes, I would give them the manuals after the signatures at the closing.  The new to be owners sound like pieces of work.  Cat Tongue

kindness is strength