Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do- house sale

I had a similar situation when selling my last home 23 years ago. 

It was listed for one day, the buyer swooped in and made an offer and it was a done deal. 

Then she started. 

We were very clear about a 90 day after closing period to vacate the property (we paid rent during that time and that was agreed upon before closing), and she agreed. The house we were moving to was not going to be vacated for 60 days after closing and we added 30 days to get the house painted, carpeted and moved into. 

We had done a lot of updates prior to listing the home (new roof, siding, replace the fuse box etc). She had a home inspection and everything passed and she was satisfied at the time, but started picking about this and that and became a real pain after closing. 

We refused to do anything different than what was agreed upon at closing, but we did meet all our obligations. 

If we had any papers of the type the OP mentioned, I would leave them on the counter on the last day we left the house, and I'd take pictures of the entire inside of the house, including the paperwork left, just in case they had any complaints afterward. CYA is necessary when dealing with people like this, and not stooping to their level, as it will only feed the fire and will cause one to have to deal with them even longer and in more depth.

The goal is to be shed of them as soon as possible.

Respected Contributor

I'd simply leave the info on the kitchen counter, it's the thoughtful thing to do.

Esteemed Contributor

I would leave all info on the counter when I left.  I think the problem with buyers, especially younger/first-timers is that they watch too much HH, where they never show what really happened.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would leave anything useful and take pictures.

Just in case........

There's a fine line between obnoxious & crazy

Honored Contributor

Why would you not leave any paperwork pertaining to things that remain with the house? It won't do you any good, and it's the reasonable thing to do. Doesn't really matter how nutso the buyers behave, you'll be done with them.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I would let the Realtors handle it as it is their job. I definitely would give them all the info I had on everything as a house is a giant purchase.  I would want as much info as I could get and want everything fixed/operating as it should be before I moved in.

If you want to sell your house and want a good price you have to be accommodating but some people are much more annoying than others.

If a house is sold AS IS..that's another story.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I'd leave it all on the counter where they would be sure to find it because I'd just be happy that the house was sold and I could get on with my life.  All the inconvenience would be in my rear view mirror.  I don't see a reason for them to be nasty, mean and vindictive.  

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl, what did your friends do?  Did they leave the info behind, or not?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Of course I would, otherwise I would be acting just as obnoxious as the buyers. Why, I ask, would I want to be known as a hypocrite? Because that is exactly what I would be if I did that (especially after complaining and having a laugh at their expense).

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Retaliating just fuels bad impulses. Leave the manuals. The Golden Rule is in play for this very situation.