Esteemed Contributor

Re: What would you do-home insurance

@SilleeMee wrote:

To me it sounds like six or half dozen of the other. Bottom line is the flooring would have to be replaced whether it was old or new when the water came down. I think your insurance will  pay for cleaning up of any water damage to the floor beneath the covering and below it. including subfloor. @ccassaday

That is a good point. I think it would of damaged it enough to have to get new flooring no matter what. I will bring that point up to my mom.

Respected Contributor

I would send it in.  That is what insurance is for.  It is just serendipity since you were in the process.  If they pay, they pay, if not, then nothing.  God is just helping you with your process.  Take the door God is giving you.  Consider it a means of off setting your future costs.  You all have paid your insurance and made....how many claims?....none or the normal, so you aren't taking advantage of them if they accept your bill for the flooring.

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

You now need to have the sub floor taken up and replaced?  I would get an estimate for that work.  Since you already planned on paying for buying and laying the new floor, I'd continue in that direction.  If replacing the sub flooring is close to the deductible, I would just pay for it.  Right before I moved, I had a claim.  I had a little trouble getting home insurance in my new state.  I even stayed with the same insurance.

There is no sub floor. This is rolled vinyl and 25 years ago when we laid it right on cement. When we were deciding what kind of flooring we wanted to do the planks for resale. But we would of had to put a subfloor down and since we are selling we didn't want to do it. So we are just replacing it with a rolled vinyl.

Honored Contributor

My dishwasher went kaboom one day. The hot water scalded the floor in the kitchen (linoleum) as oozed out to the family room where it bleached and messed up the carpet (due to the detergent). The carpet (this was a townhouse) covered ALL the levels except the kitchen and dining room (which had hardwood). 

My insurance company replaced the kitchen floor, replaced the subfloor and recarpted my entire house because insurance was to "return the area to it's pre-damaged state" and having one color in the living room would have been obvious so...there you go.

I submitted the estimates before having the work done. The insurance company cut the check to me and I then paid after the work for done; it was cut for the exact amount of the work.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do; I just wanted to tell my story as I don't find it odd they are simply asking for receipts. It was VERY easy getting this done whereas other situations were difficult. Maybe it has something to do with what caused the damage and where it is.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

My dishwasher went kaboom one day. The hot water scalded the floor in the kitchen (linoleum) as oozed out to the family room where it bleached and messed up the carpet (due to the detergent). The carpet (this was a townhouse) covered ALL the levels except the kitchen and dining room (which had hardwood). 

My insurance company replaced the kitchen floor, replaced the subfloor and recarpted my entire house because insurance was to "return the area to it's pre-damaged state" and having one color in the living room would have been obvious so...there you go.

I submitted the estimates before having the work done. The insurance company cut the check to me and I then paid after the work for done; it was cut for the exact amount of the work.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do; I just wanted to tell my story as I don't find it odd they are simply asking for receipts. It was VERY easy getting this done whereas other situations were difficult. Maybe it has something to do with what caused the damage and where it is.

I thought it was odd because this old floor is so torn up and we already ordered the new floor. I was suprised they said they would pay for it since we had already ordered it before this happened. 

Honored Contributor

I would not turn it in, save your insurance for major claims.  I once worked for Farm Bureau and they were death on small house claims.  Many of our clients got cancelled for three small claims.  Not right perhaps, but that's just the way it was. 

Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I would not turn it in, save your insurance for major claims.  I once worked for Farm Bureau and they were death on small house claims.  Many of our clients got cancelled for three small claims.  Not right perhaps, but that's just the way it was. 

This is why I have never turned in a home insurance claim. Unless I have a fire or some other complete disaster, don't plan to. I view home insurance as something to use only for true catastrophes. 

If you were already purchasing the flooring and no significant costs have been added, I wouldn't risk a policy rise or cancellation by submitting a claim.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't even turn something like that in. 

Respected Contributor

@ccassaday

I don't know if I missed, but how did this turn out?

I do hear what the others are saying about the claim causing your insurance to go up, but if it has been the only claim on this property, then it will be fine. The only issue that may follow you, is your name being on the new property if you use the same insurance company with the new house, but it is a totally different property. I do believe by law that they can't base your claims from a different property on the cost of new insurance with a different policy. It is almost like you are doing them a favor by getting a new property that is freshly built. New properties don't tend to have any claims other than act of God or Mother Nature.
Esteemed Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
@ccassaday

I don't know if I missed, but how did this turn out?

I do hear what the others are saying about the claim causing your insurance to go up, but if it has been the only claim on this property, then it will be fine. The only issue that may follow you, is your name being on the new property if you use the same insurance company with the new house, but it is a totally different property. I do believe by law that they can't base your claims from a different property on the cost of new insurance with a different policy. It is almost like you are doing them a favor by getting a new property that is freshly built. New properties don't tend to have any claims other than act of God or Mother Nature.

When we finished tearing up the old floor this week the floor was wet. If the new floor had been down it would of had to be replaced. So my dad has decided to turn it in since the old floor was so wet underneath. We will probably have the same insurance company. They have been excellent with the few claims we have had in the 38 years we have lived here. It's maybe been 3 in all these years.