Esteemed Contributor

What would you do-home insurance

What would you do?  Yesterday we had a pipe break where the hose hooks up out front. Luckily no major damage and carpet didn't have to be ripped up. It will all be turned in to the home insurance. Today we called and since the adjuster is out of town they told us to. do what we need to do and just send them the receipts. He goes did it damage your cabinets. We are like no.  Did it damage your floor. We have rolled vinyl and have already ordered the new flooring because it is old and coming up. We told him we were in the process of remodeling and had already ordered the new floor.  He goes that is ok just send us the receipt. What? My mom goes we don't want to fraud them. But If we were up front about it I think we should turn it in. It's not fraud when you told them the truth and they still said to send it in. What would you do?

Valued Contributor

Re: What would you do-home insurance

I would not send them the bill for the flooring.  I would know that I was taking advantage of the situation and believe that is wrong.

libby's folly
Esteemed Contributor

@persiflage wrote:

I would not send them the bill for the flooring.  I would know that I was taking advantage of the situation and believe that is wrong.

Is it taking advantage though if you told them that you were in the process of remodeling and he told you to send it anyway. They might get the receipt and realize the date when we bought the new floor was a month ago. BTW the new floor is not down yet.

Also found out Home Depot will not rip up the old flooring now since it is considered water damage. The guy told us to even send them the bill for that. Usually insurance gives you a very hard time about everything. I thought it was so weird.

Honored Contributor

I had a similar situation. While in the process of removing old wall-to-wall carpet, a water pipe broke and flooded the floor. At this point, however, I did not have any new carpet on order. The claims adjuster said since the floor needed to be cleaned up, meaning carpet removal, cleaning and replacement with new carpet regardless of how much I had already removed, all of it was covered under my policy.

Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like you've already decided and came here for validation.

The more you claim, the better the chance your insurance premium will go up.

I wouldn't claim anything that I'd already planned to pay for before the damage.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I had a similar situation. While in the process of removing old wall-to-wall carpet, a water pipe broke and flooded the floor. At this point, however, I did not have any new carpet on order. The claims adjuster said since the floor needed to be cleaned up, meaning carpet removal, cleaning and replacement with new carpet regardless of how much I had already removed, all of it was covered under my policy.

I would think since we ordered the floor a month ago that when they see that receipt they  aren't going to pay it because of the date.  But if we already had the new flooring down we might of needed new flooring again because of damage. So I guess it doesnt matter if we were in the process. Usually we hear bad things about insurance. The company we have has always done more then they had to. Like 25 years ago we had a pipe break upstairs. It damaged one cabinet in the kitchen. Because we couldn't match it with the others they paid for all new cabinets. 

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

It sounds like you've already decided and came here for validation.

The more you claim, the better the chance your insurance premium will go up.

I wouldn't claim anything that I'd already planned to pay for before the damage.

Nope. No one has decided. My mom said she didn't know if they would or not. For her it doesnt feel right. Our old floor is so torn up right now. I think sending in the reciept from having the old floor torn up is ok since Home Depot won't touch it now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To me it sounds like six or half dozen of the other. Bottom line is the flooring would have to be replaced whether it was old or new when the water came down. I think your insurance will  pay for cleaning up of any water damage to the floor beneath the covering and below it. including subfloor. @ccassaday

Esteemed Contributor

I agree the Home Depot thing is valid.  That's a change caused by the "event."

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

You now need to have the sub floor taken up and replaced?  I would get an estimate for that work.  Since you already planned on paying for buying and laying the new floor, I'd continue in that direction.  If replacing the sub flooring is close to the deductible, I would just pay for it.  Right before I moved, I had a claim.  I had a little trouble getting home insurance in my new state.  I even stayed with the same insurance.