Respected Contributor

Re: What we let our pets get away with

I love that your husband asked what were you going to do to Scarlett! How can anyone punish a dog. They are just love bugs even when they are devils!

Frequent Contributor

I have some gifts sitting in a tub on the floor by the Christmas tree. Our yellow boy decided Wednesday night that one of the gift bags needed to be taken out of the tub and opened. We just sat there laughing at him. He's 8 1/2 now and makes us happy he is still able and still wants to do things like that.
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure why so many simply accept bad behavior from their dogs. A trained dog is much easier to live with and dogs are much happier.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I got my very first pet at age 60, early 2014. I took in a rescue who had been mistreated and horribly neglected. He wasn't the dog I originally looked for but his story broke my heart and I had to take him home.

He had been kept in an outdoor kennel for 2 years, since birth, rain or shine or heat or blizzard, with 4 larger dogs. He was the submissive one since he was somewhat smaller than the others. The owners were mean and clearly hit him. He had never been groomed or taken care of in even the most basic ways. The only food he ever got was what the others didn't want. He would lick rain and water off the floor of the kennel. He was so skinny and afraid of absolutely everything! He didn't even know how to eat or drink out of a bowl when I got him.

Well, it's been 11 months and this little guy makes me laugh every day. It took a long time to get him to trust me. I adore him and he sticks to me like glue. I love coming home from work and seeing him jump up and down while I unlock the door. I wouldn't know what to do without him now.

Now back to this post. He's very well behaved, never gets into anything. I think his being so submissive made it easier to train him, I don't know. I just know whatever I did, it's working.

Super Contributor

On 12/19/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

I got my very first pet at age 60, early 2014. I took in a rescue who had been mistreated and horribly neglected. He wasn't the dog I originally looked for but his story broke my heart and I had to take him home.

He had been kept in an outdoor kennel for 2 years, since birth, rain or shine or heat or blizzard, with 4 larger dogs. He was the submissive one since he was somewhat smaller than the others. The owners were mean and clearly hit him. He had never been groomed or taken care of in even the most basic ways. The only food he ever got was what the others didn't want. He would lick rain and water off the floor of the kennel. He was so skinny and afraid of absolutely everything! He didn't even know how to eat or drink out of a bowl when I got him.

Well, it's been 11 months and this little guy makes me laugh every day. It took a long time to get him to trust me. I adore him and he sticks to me like glue. I love coming home from work and seeing him jump up and down while I unlock the door. I wouldn't know what to do without him now.

Now back to this post. He's very well behaved, never gets into anything. I think his being so submissive made it easier to train him, I don't know. I just know whatever I did, it's working.

What a beautiful story! Thank you for giving him a chance and a wonderful life! Rescues know and they are grateful. They also rescue us sometimes.

Honored Contributor

Superglue melts Styrofoam..........so I doubt ""frosty"" will last long

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I bet you must have felt quite frosty about that.

Super Contributor

My dear Scottish terrier was a terror as a puppy. Ruined a gorgeous overstuffed chair, coffee table and a mattress. But he is so good now, and would not hurt a fly!

Esteemed Contributor

What a lovely story. My beagle Maddie was also a rescue. We got her in the summer of 2013, after my beloved beagle Penny died. It took no time for Maddie to become just as spoiled as our other beagles were. Maddie was 3 when we got her but she was not an old dog and she definitely was able to learn new tricks. Just a few minutes ago, I let her out on her cable. There's snow on the ground and our walkway is a little icy. I was sick this week soI wasn't looking forward to getting her back in the house. She loves to be outside, even if it's cold, so I have to "convince her" to come inside. It used to be just a dog treat that would do the trick. Then she started holding out for something better. Now it takes a piece of meat or her favorite, a small bite of imported French cheese, to get her back inside. Please don't tell me what I already know. I have spoiled her rotten but she is the most affectionate, loving dog I have ever known. So what if she gets a small bite of le fromage once in awhile.
Respected Contributor

Love these stories. We have a Golden Doodle who will be one in February. He is still all puppy of course, a 75 lb. one, but he does more destruction outside in the yard rather than in the house. Digs holes and pulls out my plants. I gave up on gardening this Summer. No big deal. We love him and he may get yelled at on occasion, but that's about it. Lot's of exercise also helps. Plus he goes to day care twice a week to socialize and that really poops him out. How would you punish a dog, I have no idea. They love to be praised.